We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No sound from tower.

nick_j007

Likes # 0

Evening all.

Here is a screen grab from my friends PC: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwRgKnoI34TfYjhmYTFmNzEtYTZhOS00ZDI4LTllZTUtZTI4ZTgyNjg3MmM1

It would seem that she has lost her sound from the HP media centre PC. Windows XP. She usually runs sound via the rear socket & cable to the monitor speakers. The cable and speaker are good as I have tested these.

Upon opening the PC's case, there seems to be a small block and not a card that sits behind the sound out socket on the back of the tower. If I had found a card I could have removed and reinserted it, but not possible.

I have tried quite a few things, but all to no avail. I down loaded an XP codec pack found/recommended here, but no joy.

(It may not be relevant, but I'm confused by the Network Adaptor showing an error code.)

When I right click on any of the list of yellow error messages I can the look at various choices such as Update Driver, Scan for hardware changes or Properties. None of these options will resolve the sound loss so far.

Is there a chance this has broken? If so, how do I resolve it given that I can't simply drop in a new sound card?

Have gone to HP help site and nothing there has helped so far.

Might this be virus related?

I ran Malwarebytes and it had nearly 200 issues to fix. Installed and ran CCleaner which also had a field day, Then ran the reg cleaner.

Any thoughts most welcome,

Thanks you.

Nick

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If I had found a card I could have removed and reinserted it, but not possible.

Maybe you haven't got a separate sound card - it looks to me as if you have on-board sound.

More information required about you PC if you want anyone to help you on here.

Like this post
nick_j007

Likes # 0

Thanks Northumbria61. I believe it has onboard sound yes.

What other info do you require?

Cheers.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Check sound settings as per LINK enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Has the sound just stopped working? Have you muted anything?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Repair XP by replacing corrupt files Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems http://www.updatexp.com/scannow-sfc.html

Then you need to reinstall all the problem drivers so need to know exact make and model to search for drivers

SIW will help yu work out xacty what is installed.

Like this post
nick_j007

Likes # 0

When I go to the Control Panel and then sound settings as per your link ALL of the options are greyed out and IIRC it says something like 'no sound'.

I've checked all the obvious mutes and volume settings and am pretty confident it's hardware related and not settings...though I welcome any points you offer.

She doesn't have a software CD that might fix these issues. HP support web site was leading me down a fresh install which is dramatic at this point!

Thanks again.

Like this post
nick_j007

Likes # 0

That sounds promising thank you FruitBat...

Like this post
nick_j007

Likes # 0

Here's the latest on this query:

Owner gets this message when attempting scannow:

"windows cannot find scannow" That baffles me! Owner also sent me a copy of some error details if this helps. A bit clipped, but the main details are there.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwRgKnoI34TfZWIzNGViZDctMjg1Mi00ZjZkLWI0YzMtNzM5MmQ5NzBiMTI2

Thank you for looking in again.

Nick

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not sure if McAfee should be part of her network adapters.

Maybe think about removing McAfee entirely and reinstall it in safe mode with networking.

Mind you not sure if that would be anything to do with the sound.

Like this post
nick_j007

Likes # 0

That baffled me too being in there. I think we'll remove it. Seem to recall there being a McAfee removal tool?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia