We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mobile wireless/iTouch ?

freyabo

Likes # 0

Hi, My only online access is through a wireless dongle on my netbook. I'm thinking of buying a used iPod iTouch, but I'm not sure if I will be able to connect to the net with it using my present set up? Any solutions welcome, thanks. Anne

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 1

When you say a "wireless dongle", presumably this is Mobile Broadband via the cellphone network and not a USB Wireless Network Adapter connecting to a router?

If this is the case, and the Netbook has built-in WiFi that isn't being used, then theoretically its internet connection could be "shared" with an iPod, provided the iPod supports connecting in an Ad Hoc network. This is a wireless network in which two computers connect directly rather than via a router (Infrastructure network). To be honest, I wouldn't relish the prospect of trying to get that to work, if it is actually possible.

As an alternative, the "Three" mobile network has what they call MiFi, which is actually a wireless router that connects via the mobile network. This could be used with both Netbook and iPod.

This is the Orange Mobile WiFi device which is similar. I'm not aware of the other networks having an equivalent device, they only have USB dongles.

Like this post
freyabo

Likes # 0

Thanks for the reply. So, no go with just a dongle - I feared as much but just wanted to double check.
It seems I need to either buy a mifi or just go ahead and buy an iPhone.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance