We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Boot issue with faulty HDD

lenjam

Likes # 0

I have a faulty 2nd 150 gb HDD backup which I use for various music files etc, it is 10+ years old and is now on its last legs it seems to be stopping & restarting in a cycle.How do I disable it? as it is messing up the boot sequence and I am having to go through the repair/restart and all that carry on and I can't access the content as it 'hangs.' Task Manager cannot even end the process. The files are not important and I know I will remove the faulty drive eventually. How do I disable it in the first instance?

Thanks in advance

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Open the case and remove the power cable to the hard-drive, though why you do not just remove the drive escapes me, if as you say it is on its last legs?

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

As genius ant says, it would be better to take the drive out. If you want to rescue any files on it try it in an enclosure.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Sorry gengiscant, you know what my fingers are like!

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Genius ant! I love it Rawprawn

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

gengiscant - better that being an agony aunt I suppose!

Like this post
lenjam

Likes # 0

Thanks Guys, ...I did eventually remove the hard drive after copying all folders. It was an interim solution I was looking for in the first instance. I didn't want to interrupt what I was doing as I was on a short timeline to deliver work I hadto complete. All good and done now

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

The art of rebranding: Creative agency The Neighbourhood explains how & why it rebranded