We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Technical Support or very clever scam?

SweetBriar

Likes # 0

I've been having huge problems with my laptop recently, running Windows Vists :( was planning to get it fixed but now decided to buy a new one. However, got a phone call today from woman claiming to be Windows tech support partner - I'm not a complete idiot and she sounded genuine, apart from treating me like a 5 yr old, she said my computer was sending lots of error reports and the software was very corrupted, which I'm sure it is. She confirmed my ID no - I did NOT give it to her, she gave it to me tho' I was reluctant to confirm it in case that was a clever scam. She then explained how to get up .INF .PNF files and said the .pnf were the ones corrupting my computer. At that point I ended the convo; with the greatest respect, I had NO intention of deleting any files on the word of someone who may, for all I knew, be the Hateful Hacker of Hackney!!!

Any comments/advice/"don't make me laugh" feedback would be welcome!

Cheers

Briar

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 1

it is usually a scam

johnny

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

This has been a fairly well reported scam. There have been several threads about this on this forum. I'm sorry that you have missed them. Microsoft do not cold call nor do Windows tech support partners. They are after one of two things - access to your pc to get passwords, sensitive information etc or to get you to pay for a fix that you don't need. Your pc will not have been sending error reports. All pc's have error reports most are harmless.

Like this post
SweetBriar

Likes # 0

Hi Johnny

Yeah, that was my default reaction! Thanks

Briar

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 1

Not usually a scam - it is a scam.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

In view of all these scams going around, is it worth turning off Allow Remote etc in computer properties?

Like this post
SweetBriar

Likes # 0

Thanks, folks - glad my instincts were correct - I simply did not believe in that sort of service - just sorry I suspended my disbelief for as long as I did!

Thanks

Briar

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Microsoft will not make unsolicited phone calls to help you with your computer. If you receive a phone call like this, hang up. more info ClickHere and also ClickHere

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

SweetBriar It's funny that even though alarm bells ring when we get into these situations, and coincidence that you were having problems, there's always a bit of doubt. It's a well known con as previously stated here but you can see how people are drawn in.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G3 release date, price, specs and new features 2014

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

PCs vs consoles: PCs still pwn when it comes to gaming (and everything else)

IDG UK Sites

NAB 2014: Affordable 4K cameras, boundary-pushing plug-ins & drone domination