We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Does this Bing page cause high CPU useage on your PC

mooly

Likes # 0

If anyone would care to try this I would be very interested to know the result.

Also what operating system is used e.g. Vista 32 bit using IE9

Three days ago Bing had an animated graphics home page picture (tree climbing frog) that on my laptop causes excess CPU usage. The page is here, just use the arrow buttons at bottom of picture to step back to Wednesdays picture.

Bing Home Page

For me the CPU usage jumps from around 3% to 60% while displaying this image. Same issue occurs with many of "Googles doodles" too. I'm just interested as to whether this is a widespread effect or something that only occurs on certain hardware etc

Picture will expire in 4? days from today so a limited time to test. (Use the arrows to step back through each days pictures)

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Strange one - no problems at home with Win 7 IE9 but the works computer XP IE 8 would not display the animation - but it did not slow thing down.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Works fine using Firefox8 W/7 64bit

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Mooly

I found that the Spyware program on MSE had a bad habit of slowing things down but not sure if you still use it or not.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Oops was on the wrong page it uses up to 25% of my CPU but it is mostly Firefox which is to be expected.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

buteman,

I do still use MSE essentially at the default settings.

With just one tab open (Bing) and task manager open and showing processes IE is shown as between 0 and 3.

I then click the picture back to the frog and IE jumps to the top of list at 60 to 80. Laptop fan immediately comes on and remains so as long as this image is on screen. It's actually the fan coming on that alerts me something isn't right.

Everything still works OK like that but it just seems very excessive use of resources. A proper video clip uses less.

wiz-king mentions it not working on IE8. Wonder if it uses HTML5 (so just googling as I type ;)) and I find this,

http://www.gizmodo.co.uk/2011/11/bing-unveils-first-html5-video-background-featuring-a-frog/

One suggestion to me was to turn off accelerated video card graphics and try using CPU rendered instead but that was far worse locking up at 100% CPU.

I wonder if it is just the new technology placing more and more demands on hardware as my laptop is modest by current standards (AMD Turion 64 and NVidia GeForce 6100 graphics)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The frog (didn't realise that I had to wait for it to appear) does momentarily increase CPU usage using IE9, Firefox and Chrome. I have Vista 4Gb RAM and Kaspersky not MSE.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I have seen a few laptops while watching repairs and the all the dust seems to gather underneath the CPU so that it overheats fairly quickly hence the fan coming on.

Everything has to be removed to get to it to clean or repair it so quite an expensive job if you cannot do it yourself.

Some HP models had to be recalled because of this.

But like all computers they do tend to slow up after a while I used to blame the amount of updates from Microsoft for the performance on my old XP machine.

W/7 used to fly when I got it at first but then more and more updates and scans taking longer to scan and it is beginning to go the same way as XP.

I will probably try W/8 when it comes out next year to see how fast that runs.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

CPU jumped up to 63% for the frog, using FFox, XP pro SP3, Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.00GHz DualCore, NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

AMD Phenom II X4 850 - 3.3GHz,4 gig ram and Win7 64bit. Reached 10%.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Forgot, using IE9.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today