We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Buying new desktop, do I need a Pentium i3 or i5 processor?

HandyManPhill

Likes # 0

Hi people, this is probably a question tht has been asked a million times before. However, obviously the answer must depend considerably on each persons requirements. That's why I thought I would explain eactly what my situation is and what exactly I need a new computer to do. I need to get a new computer next year and am doing my homework in advance. My wife and I take a fair few pictures on our 12mega pixal camera, we also take alot of HD video on our Panasonic camcorder, however don't normally play around with it afterwards, just get the computer to burn it straight to a disc. We surf the net, send emails etc and I occasionally use my Adobe photoshop program to play around with some pictures. Non of this I would say is mega computer usage. I dont want my next computer to run out of HD memory anytime soon, so have been thinking about getting a 1Tb hard drive. What I'm having headaches about is whether to go for a i3 or an i5 processor, as I have been told that the i5 processor can speed itself up if/when required, and is generally quite good for slightly more complex operation (i'm thinking processing my HD video) However I'm open arguments on that, especially as the price seems to shoot up when looking at i5 processor computers. Would an i3 with a reasonable amount of RAM be fine for me, or if I can afford it should I try to afford an i5? Is there mush difference in performance between the two? Any responses and recomendations would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks guys and girls!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have you thought of AMD CPUs, something like AMD Phenom II X4 965 - 3.4 Ghz.? Have a search of various CPUs performances. Something like this.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

The flavour of the moment in enthusiast circles is the i5 2500. Its always best to go for the higher spec CPUs as they will give you the most future proofing. If the budget doesnt run to it then an i3 will do fine for your requirements.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

The i5 is quad core, the i3 isn't. The i5 has Turbo Boost, the i3 doesn't. The i3 has hyper-threading, while i5 doesn't.

Core i3 series is well suited for the entry-level desktop and laptop computer market. With greater multitasking ability and Intel HD graphics technology, it provides the home user, with a stunning visual experience. However, the core i5 series offers all this and a lot more. With Intel Turbo Boost technology and the additional two cores that have multithreading feature, core i5 goes beyond core i3 in terms of performance in every tas

Both the Core i3 and i5 are great processors, so the question really comes down to how much you have to spend

Like this post
HandyManPhill

Likes # 0

So what are these additional perk that the i5 processors have, that would persuade me to spend the extra wonga?

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Very basically the i5 is faster.

Like this post
kdt

Likes # 0

I bought w7 professional with i7 860 processor 6gb RAM but 500gb HD around £700 last(2010) Jan. You should be able to pickup good one between 500-700 with 1tb HD. Better to buy something which will last few years.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes