We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mobile phone signal booster

johnincrete

Likes # 0

I have my office in the basement of a building that is re-inforced concrete over a steel shell. There is no mobile phone signal. Is there any device I can use to pick up a signal in my apartment upstairs and relay it into the basement.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

One thing that I suggest that you don't buy, is the mobile phone 'booster' cards/strips that you insert in the mobile phone.

I bought a supply of those at 1p each with a recommended retail value of over a £1.00. They were 'designed' to boost weak signals, but I found that they just didn't work or boost a signal, inside or outside?.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

It all depends on which phone and which sevice provider you have.

My Brother in law is with Vodaphone and his signal was non existent most of the time at home.

He went to the Vodaphone shop and came back with a plug in the wall Signal Booster that works fine for him now.

Whether it would work in a basement or not I do not know.

But maybe contact the makers of your phone to see if they do anything similar.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

Perhaps some form of hands free setup, with the aerial on the outside of the building.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I put a search in Google for mobile phone external antenna and a list of sites came up. I have no idea how good any of the products are but this site may give you a pointer in the right direction Mobile Repeater

Like this post
folded-universe

Likes # 0

Those booster strips are weak and will not get you signal in a metal encased basement. The Vodafone sure signal may help you but you need broadband. Ideally you want to get out of your dark dungeon and onto the crust of the earth, caves are for trolls and batmen

Like this post
xxxx7

Likes # 0

if you have any windows in your office and at least 1 bar of 3g signal at that window that you can have a look at cel-fi rs2, this particular mobile phone signal booster is the easiest device to set up (from my experience), no software installation, long cables or complex manuals etc. I'm happy with that :)

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

Thanks everyone. Went to see Vodafone people and was told that nothing can be done

Like this post
johnincrete

Likes # 0

A surprise Christmas gift from my son-in-law was the instalation of ADSL into the basement office. So I went back to Vodafone and I was offered a device that costs 200euro to connect to the ADSL. Thanks ... but no thanks!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Motorola Moto G vs Nokia Lumia 530 comparison: What's the best budget smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Everything you need to know about Apple's iPhone Camera in iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't trust password managers

IDG UK Sites

How to make an 'Apple iWatch' using an iPod nano and a 3D printer