We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

No device drivers found

mrdcl

Likes # 0

Hi, I bought a Medion Akoya E5211 laptop 2 years ago which had Basic Windows Vista pre-installed on it; but I dropped the laptop and the operating system got wiped. I put the recovery disc in the laptop; but the disc does not reinstall Windows. I bought a Basic Windows Vista installation disc; but I am unable to install it.

I have to attempt to install in 'custom' because 'upgrade' has been disabled. I am asked 'where do you want to install Windows?' Though, I am told 'no drives were found'. 'Refresh' does nothing. When I 'load driver', I am asked to 'install the device driver needed to access your hard drive, insert the installation media containing the driver files, and then click OK'; but the installation CD is in the laptop. I think the CD works. It is new and I am asked to type the product key when I first put the disc in the laptop. Anyway, when I click on 'Ok', I am told that 'no device drivers were found'. Nothing changes when I untick 'hide drivers that are not compatible with hardware on this computer'. The screen remains blank. If I 'browse', then a box appears with 'computer', 'CD drive (D:) FRMCFRE-EN-DVD' and 'Boot (X:)' in it. Folders (?) appear when I click 'CD drive' and 'Boot'; but clicking on the folders does not help me progress. I would be grateful for help. Thanks.

PS If I switch on the laptop without putting a CD in it, the following text appears on screen: Intel UNDI, PXE-2.1 (build 082) Copyright (C) 1997-2000 Intel Corporation This product is covered by one or more of the following patents: US5, 307, 459, US5, 434, 872, US5, 732, 094, US6, 570, 884, US6, 115, 776 and US6, 327, 625 Realtek PCI Express Fast Ethernet Controller Series v1.17 (090506) PXE-E61: Media test failure, check cable PXE-M0F: Exiting PXE ROM. Operating System not found

I do not know if this is useful information. I would appreciate it if I could get help in language free of jargon. Thanks again.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

You appear to have physically broken the harddrive when you dropped it. Or at best the connection cable to it has shook loose.

If it's broken you will have to buy a new harddrive to replace it.

May I suggest if you do not know how to go about this then you take it to a little local shop for them to do and they will also test your harddrive to see if any data can be recovered. It will prob cost about £60 - £80 to repair plus the cost of a new harddrive if needed.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Master boot record (MBR) is damage on you hard drive.

X boot is where the tools and image to restore the old Vista is held.

try remove DVD

reboot machine and keep tapping F8 as it reboot see if you get a menu up if so select start up repair from the menu.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)