We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer Networking Project Ideas

Holtymet

Likes # 0

Hello,

My name is John, I'm new to PCAdvisor and hope that some of you may be able to guide me to pick an interesting dissertation topic.

I have completed 2 years at university whilst studying Computer Network Technology, I have successfully completed Cisco CCNA1 & CCNA2 giving me a good understanding of the fundamentals of networking.

I have until May to find a project topic that is unique, interesting and hopefully one that will allow me to gain that all important 1:1!

Has anybody any ideas of emerging networking technology that would make for a good project, I'm happy to undertake either a development or research project. I quite enjoy security and wireless networks topics.

Thanks John

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

If you want something interesting, challenging and about which I know absolutely nothing, you could look into the implications for home users of the introduction of (and switch over to) TCP/IPv6 for internet access. I understand the protocol is already used by Windows 7 for "Homegroup" networking.

Like this post
Holtymet

Likes # 0

Thanks mgm,

Although very interesting the project has been done lots of times by previous classes.

A friend is designing and implementing an ipv6 network with lots of security addons and the project is worth maybe a 2:2! :(

I need something new exciting and that hasnt been done before! :D

John

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

mgmcc

IPv6 is indeed used in Windows 7 Homegroup networking, and has caused more than a few problems. Many Windows 7 users have seen 'No internet access' messages when checking into why their laptops keep dropping a wireless connection.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 10 most ridiculously opulent, mega expensive and utterly stupid gadgets you can't afford

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Free QuarkXPress update offers redlining, notes and image enhancement