We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Epson SX printing problems, is it possible to print black yet bypass the black cartridge?

nucom

Likes # 0

We have 4 Epson SX printers - 600FW, 515W, 205, and 105. All have succumbed to printing problems to a greater or lesser degree.

Currently the 105 is the most hopeful, as it is printing red, yellow, and blue really well, but absolutely no black. I believe that in the past some printers worked without a black cartridge, so I am wondering if the the Epson printer/s can be adjusted to enable them to print black without the need to utilise the black cartridge?

Alternatively (1), does anyone know how to remove, clean, and replace the printheads in the above printers?

I have looked on You Tube for such a demonstration, but as yet I have not been able to find one using a printer similar to the above.

Alternatively (2), does anyone know of any source of replacement printheads that will not break the bank of a silver surfer?

Thank you for any help, advice or suggestions you can offer.

Like this post
Bob Exeter

Likes # 0

In reply to the Canon printers...... The offical Canon agent can be contacted at www.crc-tasktron.co.uk telephone 01483 776060 Woking Surrey I have dealt with these people who are experts in this field and am sure they will give every possible assistance.. They sometimes have second hand print heads which of course have the same consumer rights as if new.

They can give advice on removing the print heads once you have done this a few times it becomes easier.. I have a Canon ip 4500 a superb machine.

Bob Exeter.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

To the best of my knowledge all Epson printers use the black cartridge only when printing black and for colour shading. Also the print heads can become blocked if the ink runs out or is allowed to dry out - the cleaning process should be available in 'Control Panel/Printers & Faxes' right click the printer, select 'Properties/Utilities' and follow the instructions given when you select 'Head Cleaning' or click here for very similar info.

There are several sites that may assist you in resolving this type of problem. Have a look at: this this this and for cleaning fluid have a look at this or this.

The SSC Service Utility is also very handy and supports many more Epson printers than on the list. Given that it's free it is worth a try.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

How to shoot a robot rom-com in three days