We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Apple Help

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Mac and 1 Tb SSD

rawprawn
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a 1tb SSD which I used to use as a backup drive on my Windows 7 Laptop. When I bought a new Mac I switched it to that as storage for Time Machine. I have also made several folders on it using the Mac. This morning I took it to the laptop to do a backup there thinking I could just create another folder for Acronis. The problem is the laptop will not recognise it. What worries me is if it has been formatted by the Mac and cannot be recognised by windows, how do I get it back to normality? should I need it in future.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Should have said, I can see it in Disk Management. However the only option is Delete Volume

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

You have a 1TB SSD it must have cost you an arm and a leg!WOW

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Good morning gengiscant, oh dear still asleep this morning I have a 1tb Buffalow Ministation USB Not SSD 2 external HD.The trouble is my fingers don't wait for my brain (such as it is) to catch up.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Good morning to you. What a pity you do not have the SSD, though what use it would be to us mere mortals I am not so sure.

Knowing nothing of MAC's I am hazarding a guess here.I am assuming that MAC's and Windows PC's use a different file format so should you not have created two separate partitions on the Buffalo,one in the MAC format and the other in Windows nfts.

I may well be talking rubbish here.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I have only just got the Mac, so I know very little about them. I suspect that your Hazarded guess is correct. I don't real need to do anything at the moment, but unless someone comes up with a better theory, I think I will take your advice. I can Partition the Buffalow using Mac then try and format it NTFS using the laptop. The problem is I may have to delete the current partition in which case I would lose all my Mac Time Machine backups.

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

Also not a Mac user, but I know they can read/write to exFat!

Maybe delete every thing and reformat (in Windows) to exFat.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Thanks for that Mike, I will give that a try when I decide to reformat.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I will tick this as resolved, particularly in view of the fact that I made an error when I posted the problem Thanks gengiscant and Mike.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia