We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Getting files from my laptop to my desktop as easily as possible.

Triprajul

Likes # 0

Greetings:

After being on the road for a week or more with my ever faithful laptop, I have lots of files on my laptop. After returning home, I usually download the files from the laptop to a flash (or thumb) drive and after that, I would download the files to my desktop. However, this seems rather inefficient. Can I simply attach my laptop to my desktop by some type of cable and then simply download the files from my laptop to my desktop directly? If so, how would I do this? Any advice given on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

The simplest way in theory anyway would be to network the two PC's. I say in theory because networking can be a pain to set up if the PC's have different operating systems. Microsoft finally made networking easy with Windows 7 but should you want to network an XP PC with Windows 7 can it be a nightmare, I eventually gave up on that one,it was cheaper and better for my sanity and hair to upgrade the better halfs PC to Windows 7.

Another method is to use a crossover cable, Instructions I have not used this method so have not got a clue if it is easy to set up or not. Cables.

Another method,again I have never used this, is a USB transfer cable. Transfer Cable.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

What about "Dropbox" that way your files will always be up to date at any time. Dropbox

I use it to keep my desktop, laptop and iPad all in sync.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Excellent suggestion rawprawn and one I should have thought of as I use the program myself. The free version will give you 2GB of storage and if you need more then it costs a monthly fee. Dropbox.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Triprajul ,

On the understanding that you have emails on both machines, why not just email file to your self. Then when you see/want your emails on other machine just download them. My wife and I do this with files - especially Word ones - when one of us wishes to check/verify/alter/amend/adapy one of the other's files. Good. quick and easy!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4 review: The best iPad mini and Nexus 7 rival tablet around

IDG UK Sites

Which Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

Samsung lights up London skyline with Midnight Rainbow