We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

USB controller driver fault?

Muergo

Likes # 0

I have a fault signal, exclamation in yellow triangle, troubleshoot in Control Panel says "The driver for the USB Controller is not installed".

Then it offers to install latest driver but comes up with a negative result. It further says "There may be problems with PnP devices"

Ihaven't found anything not working so far, what might it be?

I have a Belkin powered hub with USB outlets for several devices but they all seem to be working.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Op system?

Start - Run (Search) box -Type

services.msc

press OK

Scroll dwn through the sevices and highlight plug and play

check that the services has started and is set to automatic

if not then right click it select properties - in the start up type box select automatic - click on the start button - click OK.

You may have to reboot before checking device manager again to see if it has reinstalled the driver.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Windows7 Home Premium, thanks fruit bat, will that be all right? What fault would I be looking for? as I said, I can't find anything yet that is not working properly.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If it is an unsigned driver that may be your problem .Microsoft reacts badly to unsigned drivers.

In safe mode you should get Ignore warnings about unsigned drivers something like that and the driver will work ok Till you reboot.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If it is in Universal Serial Bus Controllers that is what it will be.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Done everything advised but yellow warning still appearing, have set to automatic and running/started and rebooted but still says can't find suitable driver,

I think I shall ignore until something malfunctions then I'll know won't I ?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Have you right clicked it and then click properties to see what the problem is with it.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Have you gone into device manager to see which one is causing the bother.then right click it then properties.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

Device manager just shows blanks under "properties" saying no drivers installed.

Again, Troubleshoot tries to find drivers without success.

I'm not sure what USB drivers are missing, all the devices plugged into the USBs are working, there are a couple blank on the hub.

Is the hub the cause of the trouble? Shall I plug all USBs ditectly into the PC and see if it's that, it will mean leaving a couple disconnected as I don't have enough USBs to cope with all of them, hence the need for the hub.

I could temporarily disconnect two external Hard drives as they are not used all the time.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Maybe I am thinking of the wrong thing.

In device manager and opening up Universal serial bus controllers is it there that you are getting the problems.

Just wondering if it was something that you had plugged into a USB port that you don't use anymore.

I have 4 for USB Host Controller on mine using W/7 32Bit.

I know not a lot about it but if nothing under properties maybe just delete it.Just right click and see if it gives you any options.

But of course I would wait and see what others think.

Like this post
Muergo

Likes # 0

I think I shall pursue my previous strategy, just ignore yellow triangle until I find something that isn't working and then zoom in on that. Thanks for all your thoughts.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room