We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unresponsive keys

Aldave

Likes # 0

A few months ago I noticed that when I typed certain letters the keyboard didn't respond. The keyboard was a wireless one (Logitek) so I changed it for a wired keyboard with same problem. The very weird bit about this is that the keys affected (c,t,g,e,2..) are all on the left side of the keyboard! I tried swopping connections - to different USB sockets with no difference. At that time I was using XP and was quite happy with that but in desperation I installed Windows 7. At first this seemed to have done the trick but the fault has reappeared. Any time I have mentioned this fault to other computer users I get funny looks but I assure you that although I am a 'silver' surfer this problem is real. I hope someone out there can help me as I'm getting quite desperate. Thank you.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

It could be a driver problem - Go to Control Panel - Device Manager - Keyboards (expand) - right click on your listed keyboard and select Update Driver Software. If this doesn't work post back here with make and model of keyboard.

Like this post
Aldave

Likes # 0

Thank you Northumbria61. I have done as advised. Under Keyboards in Device Manager I have 3 'HID Keyboard Devices'. They are all 'working properly' and when I tried to update Drivers it said that the drivers were up to date. The driver listed is Microsoft keyboard driver Vers 6.1.7601.17514.
The keyboards I am using are Logitech wireless keyboard model Y-RK56A and the wired one is a 'Cherry' Model KU0556. Once again, many thanks for taking the time to answer my query.

DS

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Go to the Logitech website - Support - Product Support - from this Link enter link description here You can choose from Automatically detect my device or enter your product, model etc. to search for driver update.

Like this post
Bris

Likes # 0

Hi Aldave.

The symptoms you describe point to a driver issue as Northumbria61 has pointed out, however, as you have swapped keyboards and OS this would tend to rule this out. The common denominator here is USB and I am wondering if its a USB problem.

Can you come back with the answer to the following:

Does this problem occur immediately on startup or after a while?

Is it intermittent ie once its appeared does it ever go away.

How old is the PC (roughly).

A few things to try:

Disconnect all USB devices except the keyboard then try it. Try booting into safe mode and see if the problem appears. Also take a look in the event viewer to see if there are any reports there relating to the keyboard and of course try what Northumbria61 suggests re the drivers.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

I can only relate to a problem I had a long time ago now. I have a Wireless Multimedia keyboard with buttons along the top - to the right buttons Media,Mail,Web/Home,Messenger all working - to the left My Docs,My Pics,My Music not working - updated driver and problem solved.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback