We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

need some urgent boot up advice please

sunnystaines

Likes # 0

I had rebooted pc windows started and i had just got onto google when the pc turned itself off.

on turning back on cannot get past HDMI CHECK SIGNAL CABLE no bios screen, no bleeps.

opened up pc re set graphics card,checked hdd cables,RAM,checked hdmi cable and plugs, power lead.

all fans start the orange light on MSI X58 moterboard changes from amber to green when i turn the power on.

re booted with w7 disc, tried to boot to bios all no joy.

could a graphics card failure cause this? any other ideas please.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

gengiscant

updated the ATI diver yesterday but had restarted ok a few times since then ok, not getting any bleeps but all seems working ok, tried booting with windows dvd no luck on that. re seated everything as well.

all fans working, dvd tray open ok it is as if the monitor is not plugged in. but my own mointor with hdmi and another monitor on dvi both fail to show.

if it is the new driver cannot boot into anything to run backup image or reload windows.

no bleeps now would a dff graphics give that?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

at a dead end now till i can get some help with another pc to test the graphics & psu. now using our holiday netbook till then.

for those that offered help thank you for trying.

Like this post
daxian

Likes # 0

hi sunny.... just a thought.....do you have the extra 4 pin power lead for the cpu ??? i had a problem with this once, did not seat properly . stopped the pc dead ,but all fans and lights worked....worth a try !

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Obviously not your problem, but I regularly have this problem using HDMI. When starting up the PC I have to switch off the monitor (monitor powers up automatically with the PC) then switch back on again.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

hssutton

thanks will try that, just eliminated the graphics card pcworld let me test one of there new cards in my pc without buying free of charge still got the problem they thought it may be the m/b or processor.

clutching at straws will try any tips

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

end of the line. graphics card, monitor, psu ok its the motherboard despite showing a green light that it was ok.

desktop slung in the garage while i cool off a replacement msi x58 board £169 from novatech, totly fed up with desktop motherboards lasting less than two years, 3rd in a row with limited life. going to get on an aging xp laptop and a holiday netbook might consider a new laptop when w8 comes out and ssd's are put in laptops. do not thing i will build a new desktop unless m/b get cheaper and more reliable. our 22" HD monitor can be a spare tv, as for the c7 quad cpu and 3g of fast ddr3 ram they will have to collect dust, hdd gone into a caddy.

thanks all that tried to help.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Should have gone for a P67 mobo with i5 2500K, I normally go for Asus or Gigabyte and in the ten years or so biulding PC's I have only RMA'ed one board. Just been lucky I guess. Punt your CPU, should get a fair price,RAM is ridiculously low priced at the moment so could be toiling to get a good price. PSU, always useful to have a spare.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

sunnystaines, sorry to see this outcome but glad you took the desktop to the garage and not thrown it out the window! If you bought the mobo from Novatec they have free lifetime tech support and was wondering if worth contacting them seeing the motherboard only a couple of years old?

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

rdave, the motherboard came from novatech, £169 new board, another £60 if i had their support check it out and another £60 for them if they fitted it. then another windows oem thats about £100 too, then there is oem office, going to try and load it on the netbook tomorrow not sure if it will let me as it says only use on computer it was bought with.

i spoke at length on the phone with their support who were helpful but only confirmed the m/b was the fault which i had already discovered.

it was my home built pc and had it running fast, using a slow xp laptop and a slower w7 netbook is not the same. also missing the HD 22" screen. but not building another desktop fed up with limited life of their motherboards. thanks again all who helped.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Did you buy a 'bundle' or did you install your own CPU? It could be the thermal paste that has deteriorated. Any signs of capacitor bulging or 'smell' on the mobo?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Chromecast deals aplenty as gadget turns one: Discounts and free music streaming

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

5 ways drones are being used for good