We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Solid State Hard Drives can they be used in a desktop?

Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

hi can you tell me please i have a SATA connection and my internal HD is almost dead, i want this for my Desktop so can you tell me if i can put only windows 7 on this drive to speed the boot up & have a separate drive for the files etc.. so ive got this SSD just for the Operating system and have another drive for files/games Ect..?

Thanks

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Yes you can. I have an OCZ Vertex 2 60GB SSD with a 1TB Sata HDD with another 1TB as a backup. The SSD contains operationg system plus most of my programs. My games (Steam)are on the !TB drive as is all my photos,videos and music. After installing the OS on the SSD move all the MY folders location to the bigger drive, a very simple process, this will mean that if you add music photo etc they will automatically go to the bigger drive.

Tweaks

Moving folders

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Gengiscant: I know it's rude to hijack someone else's thread - but did you get the performance increase from the SSD you were looking for? It's something I've been thinking about for a while, and SSD technology is becoming much more affordable.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton.

Good question, I actually bought my first one so as to have a small boot drive with less of thebloat that we all acquire with our hard-drives. Yes it boots faster and programs load faster and it seems so much easier to reinstall windows if things go pear shape, I have never liked system restore,without having to worry about personal folders.

I would like to get a bigger SSD to just put Steam and games on, seemingly works wonders for loading times etc.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Thanks gengiscant.

Like this post
Autoschediastic

Likes # 0

Ian & Gengiscant THANKS so much guys! i now know its ok to do...cheers your a star!

A

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The best iPhone 6 alternatives: Price and specs compared with the best smartphones

IDG UK Sites

The top 10 Apple products ranked by pixel density: Which Apple devices have the sharpest screens?

IDG UK Sites

SBTRKT's Look Away webcam-based interactive music video won't keep your gaze

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...