We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

what protection do u use?

mattgedd

Likes # 1

aka: what protection should i use?

got new comp. currently i using avast, and scanning with malwarebytes and superantispyware every so often - i mucked up the settings on malwarebytes and superantispyware, i think at least one of them used to work in real time, beside avast, tho not sure. id rather use avira on new comp.

ty!

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

I use free Avira as anti virus,SAS and MBAM as anti malware as malware scanners and Spywareblaster to try to block malware and it also helps to block adverts too.I use the free versions. If in doubt uninstall the SAS and MBAM then re install.The free versions of the latter do not work in real time. Avira has signalled that a virus attempt was blocked and got a good review in recent surveys. Others prefer MS Security Essentials, but there have been remarks recently about the difficulty of uninstalling it.

Like this post
steve12345

Likes # 1

If you want to test your anti-virus realtime, you can use this fake virus code. Just open notepad and copy the following text into it and save as "FakeVirus.bat" (Some won't scan it if you save as .txt file):

X5O!P%@AP[4\PZX54(P^)7CC)7}$EICAR-STANDARD-ANTIVIRUS-TEST-FILE!$H+H*

Your anti-virus program shouldn't let you save this file if it is working properly.

Like this post
steve12345

Likes # 0

Forgot to add: "Don't Panic. It's not a virus and is absolutly safe!"

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

Tried it and it worked a treat, MSE got it in seconds and then asked me if it wanted to clean the machine moments later. that was worth a try

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

AVG 2012 Security Suite got it immediately for me!

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Avast flagged it straight away and put it in Chest

Like this post
daz60

Likes # 0

On my Win7 , Norton360 backed up with MBAM SAS WINPATROL+ Spywareblaster

On XP netbook Online Armour MSE PCTools Belarc Advisor

Fake Virus, Norton stopped it no action necessary,EICAR string it said. Yet to try on the XP.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?