We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Excel formula required

gengiscant
Resolved

Likes # 0

I want to keep track of a unexpected debt that I have been landed with by my council so have created a spreadsheet which has the overall amount owed date of payment and amount paid. What I would like to happen is when I enter an amount paid it is automatically deducted from balance owed.

I hope there is enough info there to answer my query.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Sorry, I never looked at any of the screenshots

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Covergirl.

You are absolutely correct about the confusion bit.Screen-shot. Where would I enter your formula seeing as I am nowhere near A or B with my figures.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

I'm a bit loathe to get involved as I can see a lot of patience will be required.

However, just so I don't exit without a by-your-leave, I have put the following together:

This is how the result will look based on your screenshots

Here are the formulas you need to enter in the columns.

Note - I don't advocate using rows or columns as "spacers" - you can resize columns and align left, right or centre as per the example.

The formula in row 2 is slightly different to those below to take account of the start of the spreadsheet.

You can now enter new bills anywhere into column D and payments anywhere into column F, plus other accounts and dates in columns A to C.

Hope this helps.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Thanks Covergirl. So I would need to put all that formula in to get two columns where it looks like the overall debt and balance is increasing rather than decreasing after each payment.

Thanks for your help. Although it took a while to get there with VoG™ I have got near enough what I want so will mark this as resolved.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...