We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

vista laptop h/d loosing capacity

hunted

Likes # 0

Hi, got a vista laptop, had it approx 2 years & runs ok. However noticed last 2-3 weeks tha h/d capacity is on the decline. where as approx 3 weeks ago it showed 35gb, today it shows 30gb. Download from internet but also delete them when watched & then run disc clean up but notice it still doesnt restore it back to the 35gb capacity? Are there any other areas you need to go to, to delete any other files etc. Any replies appreciated.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Bit more info required if you want help - are you saying you just have a 35GB (Total Capacity) Hard Drive? I find that hard to believe - are you sure you are not talking about a partition on your hard drive?

Like this post
hunted

Likes # 0

I've got 56gb in c drive & 54gb in d drive. C drive has already got a few programs installed so it will not be completely free, however like i said in my last email approx 3 weeks ago it was showing 35gb in c drive, today it shows 30gb in c drive so where has the 5gb gone?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

CCleaner">http://download.cnet.com/3001-2086_4-10315544.html?spi=db839bf1a332398660a16d6414afe918">CCleaner download and run see how much rubbish it clears from your drives

very safe to run will not remove anything that will cause a problem.

Like this post
Joe G

Likes # 0

I regularly have to go into my System Restore and delete all Restore Points then create a new one - obviously you need to ensure your laptop is clear of viruses etc before you do this. Vista eats drive space - I'm amazed you have had it for 2 years and only now have the problem - it has been like that from day 1 for me!

Like this post
hunted

Likes # 0

I have to do system restore possibly once a month as i find that when my pc gets the regular updates it has some conflict with the internet connection & i keep loosing the internet so i have to do a system restore to an earlier date & this seems to get the internet working again. Thanks Fruit Bat, will get the cnet download investigated.

Like this post
hunted

Likes # 0

I've installed the ccleaner but still dont see the c h/d regaining much of the lost capacity

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Download and Run Auslogics Disk Defrag from here enter link description here

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Defraggler is another good alternative enter link description here

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'