We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

does tweeking the dns server address speed my internet

wrongtunes

Likes # 0

Hi, I read this article and I was wondering if it actually works. I read a news about a Google-led consortium working on multiplying internet speed worldwide so I was wondering if this is actually working already.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Try it and see!

I have in the past used the Open DNS server addresses, but cannot say that I found accessing web sites to be noticeably faster than with my own ISP's DNS servers.

Like this post
me_mighty

Likes # 0

so is it possible even I also wnat to know about this try to search everywhere but unable to find any help by the way on the way i found this site http://forums.techarena.in/tips-tweaks/1299791.htm look helpful

please reply back

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I think I've already answered the question. "Yes" using alternative DNS servers works, but I personally didn't find a significant improvement in performance by using the OpenDNS addresses rather than those allocated by my ISP.

If your own ISP has poorly performing DNS servers, then there might be an improvement. As previously, try it and see - only you can determine whether or not you experience an improvement in performance.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy your gadgets at launch: Wait and pick up a bargain

IDG UK Sites

Artist creates a geometric rave in a chapel for The House of St Barnabus

IDG UK Sites

Mac mini (Late 2014) 1.4 GHz review: Mac mini is sort of upgradable, but is it any good as it is?