We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Asus laptop sets itself back to factory settings

bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Hi all. Hope that you can help me yet again!

My Asus X52F running Windows 7, set itself back to factory settings last time I restarted it. It seemed to do end of windows updates when it was shutting down. Fortuantly, I was able to restore it to an earlier date.

However, I am now terrified of shutting the laptop down and then starting it up again. I have my photos, documents and music stored in clouds but it would be of course, a real nuisance to have to re-register everything again.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions as to why this could be happening, if at all possible and how I can stop it from happening again. I know it is a bit ask! Also, any recommendations of any backup software would be useful too I guess, as I am thinking, it would be nice not just to use clouds.

Many thanks in advance!

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Me too. It's been fun. And if all posters were as responsive and appreciative as you, I'm sure they'd get more help than some of them do.

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Back again (bet everybody is fed up with me by now).

Anyway, managed to get my backup drive working. I also managed to find my google chrome profile and set it to backup. It duly did this BUT (sorry, sorry) I did have 17 messages of "This is no longer located in C:\users|\appdata\local\google\user data\default" to which I had to click "skip" in the end. So I am guessing (and of course this is a big guess) that my profile could be corrupted after all.

Hope you can help yet again. I do appreciate it! Don't know what I would do without the people on this site.

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

Have managed to wade my way through this informative thread and, Bristol Girl, just had a thought. Yes, it is essential to back up all your docs, pics, spreadsheets etc but don't forget all the emails. The Help in your email program will tell you how to do it.

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Thank you Shellship! I use gmail, so I guess that it will be OK if I don't backup. I know that you still can with gmail but I think I'm Ok with not doing that.

Thank you for your support and advice though!

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

The first thing to check is that the folders you think you copied are still where they're supposed to be (as well as on your backup drive). Use Windows Explorer to take a look. The error message sounds like they're not where Chrome is expecting them to be. (Is the error message coming from Chrome, or somewhere else? And, despite all the skips, is Chrome working how you want it to?)

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Many thanks for all your help and advice Ian. I am sorry for the delay in replying! I am going to return to this in a few days, when hopefully I am feeling a bit better. Best wishes BristolGirl

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do