We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Asus laptop sets itself back to factory settings

bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Hi all. Hope that you can help me yet again!

My Asus X52F running Windows 7, set itself back to factory settings last time I restarted it. It seemed to do end of windows updates when it was shutting down. Fortuantly, I was able to restore it to an earlier date.

However, I am now terrified of shutting the laptop down and then starting it up again. I have my photos, documents and music stored in clouds but it would be of course, a real nuisance to have to re-register everything again.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions as to why this could be happening, if at all possible and how I can stop it from happening again. I know it is a bit ask! Also, any recommendations of any backup software would be useful too I guess, as I am thinking, it would be nice not just to use clouds.

Many thanks in advance!

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Bristolgirl: it sounds like you're trying to copy your whole internal laptop drive to your external drive. That's not the idea (and is likely to be virtually impossible anyway with a 60GB external drive). You should just be identifying the folders that have your stuff in them - docs, spreadsheets, pictures, music, cookies, favourites, downloads - on your laptop and dragging those across to the external drive.

It could be - you don't say - that you're using the supplied software, which may be trying to back up the whole drive. This isn't what you need (not with a 60GB drive, it's not): you need to be selective.

DON'T delete anything, unless you've already copied stuff to your external drive - in which case, you may want to delete what you've copied, and start again.

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Thank you Buteman and Ian for your replies.

I'm a bit confused (doesn't take much does it)? I have my photos, docs and music backed up into clouds and a USB stick but what I really need to backup is my (not sure if I'm putting this correctly) settings, so that when I go into a program, I can restore it from the backup drive, if it looks as though I am starting the program for the very first time. I'm not really sure, if this can be done or what I should be selecting for this backup.

I know that I've used up a lot of your time but I still hope that you can help! Many, many thanks!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It might be that your profile is corrupted. You'll need three admin accounts to fix this. Your old one and the new one you need to copy all your files to. The third account is the one that will actually transfer all your files to your new account (profile). Have a read here. Create a new account

Once transferred you can delete the third account and your old profile as soon as you know the new profile works OK.

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Thank you as always rdave!!

I'm so very, very confused now. Should I create my new profile before I backup?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

rdave13: with respect, I think you may be over-complicating this... But perhaps I'm misunderstanding what you have in mind?

Bristolgirl: Let's go back to the beginning. It's not 100% clear to me what you want to achieve.

Originally, we talked about some of the online stuff you do, and how it seemed as if these online sites had suddenly 'forgotten' you. We - I - concluded that the issue was that your cookies file had gone AWOL. We discussed how you could back up your cookies so, if they went AWOL again, or you had to reinstall Chrome, everything would still be OK.

But when you say "so that when I go into a program, I can restore it from the backup drive, if it looks as though I am starting the program for the very first time" - can you perhaps give a specific example of what you mean? If you mean, for example, that you have in some way personalised Word or Excel, and something happens such that that personalisation has disappeared, then what you want to do is not entirely straightforward. Typically, there is no way of 'restoring' a program like Word on its own. Usually, you would have to reinstall it - and it wouldn't have your personalisation.

There is a possible way round this, although I'm not very familiar with it. In XP, there is a facility to export files and settings. I'm not sure to what extent, though, it allows you to back up your personalisations. I'm not sure how selective it allows you to be either. I imagine there's a version of it in W7,and it may be better.

The other thing we've talked about is using a piece of software like Acronis, which makes a copy of your entire system - allowing you to restore your whole system to how it was the last time it worked the way you wanted it to. But: that's your whole system - and I doubt you'd fit that all on to a 60GB drive.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, we need to go back to the beginning a bit. Can you give specific examples of what it is you'd like to do? What behaviours have you experienced - specifically - that you want to have a way of fixing?

Sorry if this doesn't seem like progress...

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

bristolgirl The size of your backup HDD is too small to do a 'clone' or image backup. Windows has already stated this. Your most important backups have been made so forget the bookmarks and favourites. You can always copy the addies to notebook and paste to your backup HDD if need to.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Ian in Northampton

I shall leave it in your capable hands.

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Apologies Ian. I think I got myself a bit too tired and managed not only to confuse myself but everybody else too! I do appreciate your help and support given! For now, I have another problem. I have tried to backup to the device that I have just purchased but it is making a horrible clicking noise combined with a red flashing light. So, I guess that can't be good. I have emailed the company about it and hopefully, they will be able to shed some light on it.

Sorry for the confusion about what I want to achieve! Essentially, it is what you so clearly put, in better words that I ever can, is that I after I have done my Windows update, I do not want the sites to have forgotten me. The sites that I have had this issue with are Itunes, Avast and Google Chrome etc.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Sorry to hear about your clicking drive. That doesn't sound good...

Well, if that's what you want to do, and that's everything you want to do, your 60GB drive may prove to be overkill... :-( As I said: to do what you're describing, you need to just back up your cookies and favourites. That involves copying the directories/folders in which they're stored to an external device, which could be your little USB drive. Then, if Windows Update screws them up again, all you have to do is to copy them back to the place you copied them from in the first place.

If you look here

http://www.crispytech.com/2010/01/15/backup-bookmarks-extensions-history-passwords-chrome-profile/

you'll see an explanation. And if you look here

http://dev.chromium.org/user-experience/user-data-directory

you'll find the location of the directory you need to back up, depending on your operating system.

Simply: identify the directory on your machine, copy it to your back up media. Make a directory/folder such as 'Bristolgirl Chrome Backup' and pop it in there. Then, if your cookies etc. go AWOL again, simply copy it back to where you copied it from in the first place. It'll probably ask you if you're sure you want to replace the folder - and you do.

Note that it's worthwhile backing up your Chrome user data regularly, as the cookies (and favourites) files are continuously updated as you surf the web.

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Wow, that's great Ian! That's exactly what I want to do. Thank you for all your time and support helping me. I really appreciate it.

I will post again when I've hopefully done it all and all is working well again. Keeping my fingers and toes crossed!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia