We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Asus laptop sets itself back to factory settings

bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Hi all. Hope that you can help me yet again!

My Asus X52F running Windows 7, set itself back to factory settings last time I restarted it. It seemed to do end of windows updates when it was shutting down. Fortuantly, I was able to restore it to an earlier date.

However, I am now terrified of shutting the laptop down and then starting it up again. I have my photos, documents and music stored in clouds but it would be of course, a real nuisance to have to re-register everything again.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions as to why this could be happening, if at all possible and how I can stop it from happening again. I know it is a bit ask! Also, any recommendations of any backup software would be useful too I guess, as I am thinking, it would be nice not just to use clouds.

Many thanks in advance!

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Oh no, I've lied! Sorry. They just sent me an email that it is out of stock. Apologies!

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Shame about it being out of stock. I'm lucky - within 15 miles I have about 5 Argos stores, so one of them usually has what I want. I'll check them out.

Re: restoring your entire laptop. There are basically two ways to do this. One is that Asus should have supplied you with either disks to enable you to do a complete 'factory reset' (remember - that's where we started off...? LOL). Once you've done this, you can then restore all your own files. It's a cumbersome way of doing it, but it will work. Alternatively, your laptop may have a restore partition on it (my daughter's Eee netbook has one, and it works like a dream). You'd need to find the instructions how to activate this. Again, though, you'd still need to restore your own files.

The more elegant way of doing it is to use something like Acronis. I don't know Acronis very well, but I believe that what it does is to take an image of your entire hard drive. That way, if things go pear-shaped, you can in effect just reload your entire laptop - user documents and all - in one single operation, restoring it to how it was when you last backed up.

I'm thinking, you know: we must stop meeting like this... ;-)

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Hi again Ian.

Thanks for all your help!

I can't get this drive and software from any of my local Argos stores. Did you manage to buy one?

I'm thinking now of getting a CBA Digital 80Gb Portable 2.5 Inch External Hard Drive including One Touch Software from Amazon, just because I want to get this done now. Can I trouble you again to see if you think that this will be OK for what I need?

Much appreciated!

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

No, I didn't - every local store was out of them. I've registered to be told when they come back into stock.

The CBA is a 60GB drive, right, not an 80GB drive? It's not a name I'm familiar with, but the few reviews on Amazon are positive, which is worth something. I think the One Touch software is proprietary to CBA - I'm not familiar with it. It (CBA) also appears to be exclusive to Amazon, unless you buy it direct from CBA.

One cautionary note. From reading around, it looks as if these drives are factory-formatted to FAT32. You may want to format it to NTFS if you get one. (I sense I may just have opened a giant size can of worms... :-) )

60GB isn't huge, but may well be enough for what you want (if you've already backed up to a pen drive, it'll be more than sufficient). It'll certainly last you for a while, I'd have thought.

It's quite cool that it's USB powered rather than mains, meaning that it's going to be easier to move it between your laptop and your desktop.

At the price, I'd say "go for it".

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Thank you again Ian!

I really shouldn't be let loose on computers!! I am really going to need help with those worms, aren't I? How on earth will I tell if it is FAT32 or NTFS ?!

Sorry you didn't have any luck with Argos either.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

When you have the drive attached, right click on it in My Computer and click on 'Properties'. That'll tell you whether it's FAT32 or NTFS.

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Hi Ian. I hope that you are able still to help me.

My backup device has just arrived and you are right, it is set to FAT32. Should I be thinking of changing it to NTFS and if so,how do I go about this?

It does come with it's own software disc and I had the impression that I just plug it in and then I'm good to go.

I've probably got this all wrong!

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Hi yet again (apologies)

I've now managed to change my external drive from FAT32 to NTFS and I also understand why, I think. I've got as far as starting to do my backup but Windows is telling me that there is not enough space to backup the selected drive. Have I made a massive mistake in only getting a 60gb external hard drive? Or is there some files that I can delete to get round this problem?

Sorry, I know that I am being a right pain but I really do appreciate any support given!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Not sure but windows 7 uses 20 odd Gb.I know not a lot about external drives so not sure if you have to partition it or not.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If you go into my computer and look at the external drive it should show you how much space is on there and how much is left.

My computer with hardly anything on it uses up 30 Gb so you would thing yours would have been big enough.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 release date, new features and compatibility: Free to download from 6pm

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?