We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Asus laptop sets itself back to factory settings

bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Hi all. Hope that you can help me yet again!

My Asus X52F running Windows 7, set itself back to factory settings last time I restarted it. It seemed to do end of windows updates when it was shutting down. Fortuantly, I was able to restore it to an earlier date.

However, I am now terrified of shutting the laptop down and then starting it up again. I have my photos, documents and music stored in clouds but it would be of course, a real nuisance to have to re-register everything again.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions as to why this could be happening, if at all possible and how I can stop it from happening again. I know it is a bit ask! Also, any recommendations of any backup software would be useful too I guess, as I am thinking, it would be nice not just to use clouds.

Many thanks in advance!

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Thank you Ian. People on this site are always so helpful and I trust them more than any reply from Asus. I thought it a bit over the top and thank you for confirming my thoughts! I've been a bit naive, haven't I, thinking that all was OK, if I had all my data in clouds? After your wise words, I think that I really should be backing up my desktop too (sorry, am I giving you a heart attack) and wonder, if there is a backup external device that is not only extremely easy to use but will back up both my laptop and my desktop? Sorry, I've taken up a lot of your time but I really do appreciate your support and replies!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

bristolgirl

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/helproom/4095154/paragon-back-up-and-recovery-free-for-today/

Choice of 2.

Notice the free one you can download the manual for it so should be easier to understand.

You don't live in the north of Scotland now do you.Just having a wild guess at someone I used to know from the Bristol area.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I'm wondering why the date and time changes if the laptop has the main battery in place?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Similar problem, Link

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Thanks for the backup link Buteman. I'm not going to do it, as no doubt I will have to restart my laptop after I have downloaded it and then all will go even more pear shape. I've seen a HP Simplesave 2TB External Hard Drive at Argos for £89.99 (although it is out of stock) and whilst it is very expensive, it seems simple enough for even me to use!! Wondering if this would be a good route to take!

Thanks for the link about my clock being wrong rdave13. I guess that I should sort this backup out first. Very terrified though!

(No I live in Warwickshire but with a name like Heather, I really should be living in the wilds of Scotland!).

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Oh I've just seen a Seagate Expansion 1TB Hard Drive with free Acronis True Image personal backup software for £59.99. Is this what I am looking for?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

That sounds like a good deal. 1TB should be more than enough for your purposes - and I know Acronis is very highly rated on the forum. Seagate is certainly a respected disk manufacturer. In fact, being portable, you can use the same drive to back up both your laptop and your desktop. How cool is that? :-)

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Where did you see that deal, by the way? Although I have 2 x 250GB external drives that are backed up to 2 x 500GB drives that are backed up to 2 x 1TB drives (paranoid? me?) I'm always in the market for more backup storage. When you've got photos going back to 1958, plus your entire music collection, and everything you've ever written since you got your first PC in the mid-1990s, you tend to be careful

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Hi Ian. Thanks for your replies. I guess it sounds like a good deal then, in that I can back up other things other than my photos, Documents and Music. (I forgot to say, that I have backed these up to a usb stick too). Am I right in thinking this? I think, that what I am saying, is that I would like to restore, if I have to, my laptop, to the way it is now, if I have to. Minus the problems of course! Sorry, I bet I've made this as clear as mud.

I saw the deal at Argos. I couldn't get it delivered but could collect it from my nearest store.

Photos from 1958! That must be an awful lot. Must be nice looking back at them though!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015