We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Asus laptop sets itself back to factory settings

bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Hi all. Hope that you can help me yet again!

My Asus X52F running Windows 7, set itself back to factory settings last time I restarted it. It seemed to do end of windows updates when it was shutting down. Fortuantly, I was able to restore it to an earlier date.

However, I am now terrified of shutting the laptop down and then starting it up again. I have my photos, documents and music stored in clouds but it would be of course, a real nuisance to have to re-register everything again.

I would very much appreciate any suggestions as to why this could be happening, if at all possible and how I can stop it from happening again. I know it is a bit ask! Also, any recommendations of any backup software would be useful too I guess, as I am thinking, it would be nice not just to use clouds.

Many thanks in advance!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Probably.Have you tried reseting the time and date and it still changes.

I know you can go into the Bios and set it there but I would not know how to do it on your laptop model.

If nothing else works changing the battery might fix it but as I am no expert I will leave it for others to comment.

I understand it can be quite difficult with laptops.

If you laptop is fairly new it should not happen unless maybe it has been switched off for a long time.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Changing the CMOS battery I should have said.

Having had a look the laptop is not very old so probably not that.

Maybe check in the Bios that it is set to the proper time and date.

And try right clicking the time icon in the Taskbar and make sure the time zone is set to Dublin,Edinburgh,Lisbon and London.

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Hi Buteman

Thank you for your swift reply!

I do have my time set to Dublin,Edinburgh,Lisbon and London. It is the Internet time, that I seem to have to keep changing to keep it on the right time and date. How do I check the Bios (sorry, I'm showing my ignorance again).

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

(Forgot to say too Ian, that sadly, I now don't live anywhere near Bristol and I really, really miss it)!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Sorry not sure once again.

On mine it is tapping Delete at start up but others it is F1 or F2 .

I have changed mine before and once the date and time is set you you have to press save and exit.

But you are best waiting for someone that knows what they are doing to give you the proper advice.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

To check the BIOS: when your laptop boots, you should see an option to press a key during the boot process to take you to 'set up'. Which key you have to press varies from PC to PC. You have to be quick, though. Very often, the first time you try, you'll only just have time to see which key it is you have to press - but no time to actually press it. So, wait till the laptop is fully booted, then reboot it again - but this time, keep tapping the relevant key throughout the boot process.

When you get there, there will be simple instructions on screen. You can easily navigate your way to the time/date kept by the BIOS.

Re Internet time: that's a strange one. In XP - I'm not very familiar with W7 - if I double click on the time in the task bar, I open up a dialogue box. One of the tabs in that box is 'Internet Time', and there's a box that you can check that tells your PC to automatically synchronise with Internet time. That might be worth a try - if you can find the functionality in W7. In true W7 fashion, it's probably there - they've just hidden it in a different place... :-(

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Ok. Thank you again Buteman!

I keep getting "This webpage is not available The connection to www......co.uk was interrupted", too now.

Not having a good day.

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Thank you Ian for your very informative reply. I really appreciate it! Seems as though I really must sort the backup out first before I try anything else.

I will (hopefully) let you know how it goes!

Like this post
bristolgirl

Likes # 0

Oh, I've just heard back from Asus (I contacted them too about this problem, as my laptop is still under warranty) but they have suggested that I do a System Recovery. This seems a bit extreme, doesn't it?

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Yes, it does. What I guess they're recommending is that you wipe out everything and start again. Given the nature of your problems as I understand them, that's overkill - a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Manufacturers like to tell you to do that, or to reformat your hard drive and reinstall Windows, because it's a quick, simple - for them - solution and makes you go away, so they don't have to think about it any more.

But, like you said: Job 1 is to get your personal stuff backed up. I can't think what else to back up other than your photos, music, documents, spreadsheets, cookies and favourites. You may want to check in your 'downloads' folder, see if there's anything there you want/need to keep.

One of the advantages of backing up to an external hard drive rather than a DVD is that you have much more space, so you can just copy the entire contents of your internal hard drive over to it without having to worry whether you've included everything: you know it'll be on the external drive if you should ever need it.

Oh, and: backups aren't just for Christmas... :-) Try to get into the habit of doing it regularly. My system automatically backs up every day (overnight) which might be overkill, but you should try to do it once a week as a minimum. I'd say that spending money on an external hard drive might be one of the best investments you'll ever make.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...