We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

New PC Hard Drive Split

Legslip

Likes # 0

My pals new laptop has its 250gb HD partioned into two 125gb sectors (C & D). 8gb has been used on D which I presume is the Factory Restore files. What is the idea of such partitioning? Is it for...

a) the user to save personal data such as docs, Photo's etc to D drive and keep C solely for Programmes? b) If so, why dont manufacturers point My Docs to the D drive in readyness?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

The idea behind partitioning is for the OS & Programs on "C" with "D" for Data and is done by most Laptop Manufacturers. That's the theory but in practice it never seems to work as "allsorts" finds its way onto the "C" partition. I doubt if the 8GB you see on the "D" partition are the factory restore files are these are normally hidden. Click on your "D" partition to see what data/files it contains.

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

thanks Northumbria. Looked at D and there is a HDD Recovery folder on D so that's the fact. restore I presume. It's running Win 7 and Start-Documents points to C:\Users\Username. Is it best to point this to D drive?

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

You can move your Documents folder from C to D in Windows 7 - see here enter link description here

Like this post
Legslip

Likes # 0

Thanks Northumbia. I'll do that.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

There is absolutely no need to partition,what is a relatively small hard-drive as if it fails the it will take out both partitions.i would use partition manager to remove the separate partition so that you just have 1 large plus the recovery.

Should you wish to kep the two drives then as Northumbria61 has said it is a simple process to move folders.

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Yes, I've got an issue with this too.

Why do they do it? They (the computer manufacturers) have the technology to set up the partitions in the first place, so why not make one small partition for recovery (20GB should be adequate) and leave the rest to the C: drive for programs and data?

If they have to set up a large (what has become known as the) recovery partition, why don't they put My Documents on it and point File Manager at it? That would leave the C: drive for programs.

My issue is partly due to the fact that despite following several lines of advice on these forums, I've never been able to successfully resize D: and get the spare onto C:

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

With great respect I disagree with gengiscant; I would actually reduce the C: to 100 gig - enough for most people's programme and system files. Then put all self generated data (My Documents) onto the larger data drive. In this way you could use a mirror image copying programme such as freefilesynch or SyncToy to make frequent quick backups of the data to an external drive, as well as occasional images of the system files , but images take a lot longer.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?