We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Change partition sizes

alB
Resolved

Likes # 0

I’m trying to sort out an old Acer laptop for a family member, Windows Vista basic with a small 70Gb hard drive that is split into two equal partitions with the C part very nearly full, using the Disk Management utility I’ve been able to shrink the D partition down to 16Gb and now have 16Gb unallocated. How can I allocate the 16Gb to the C drive to make it bigger, the extend volume option is greyed out …alB

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

This should do you.Partition manager.

Like this post  
alB

Likes # 0

gengiscant, thanks for your link, have downloaded and tried the prog but I still can't move the unallocated disk space, tried to merge it with the C drive but no joy ...alB

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Sorry I missed the part of your post where you mentioned " extend volume " is greyed out.Are you Xp or Vista by the way? I have found this, have not used it myself so cannot comment.Extend. Also the unallocated space must be to the right to use Extend Volume

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

Is the unallocated space to the right or left of the D partition?

If its to the right click on the D drive and drag it to the right the unallocated space should now be between the C and D drive.

You can now select the C drive and expand it to include the unallocated space. Remember to click on apply to complete the process.

Like this post
alB

Likes # 0

gengiscant/BRYNIT, worked a treat, thanks very much for your input, although I don't know how long a 50gb partition will last before that's full too!! I might suggest getting an external drive to use as well. Thanks again chaps, great advice as always ...alB

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do