We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Trusteer Rapport and Vista - a warning

onthelimit1
Resolved

Likes # 0

I've just had another Vista which blue screened on startup. After trying all the usuals, I noticed TR was installed. Having had a variety of problems with this software on other machines, I uninstalled it. PC now running normally.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

onthelimit1 - I totally agree with you - TR is nothing more than a nuisance and causes a lot of problems. First suggested by my Bank I thought it was okay but soon found out otherwise. I removed it from my my wife's laptop running Vista but have never used it on my Desktop with Windows 7 Pro 64bit and don't intend to.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Other side of coin, my good lady has it on her Windows 7 PC with no problems whatsoever, I on the other hand do not use as I also had problems in the past. It seems to be a very hit and miss bit of software.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Agree it seems to be a very hit and miss bit of software. Being a bit paranoid about online security with banking websites with good reason I use it but not sure how effective it is. It throws up a weekly report of access denied events but I suspect these are all false positives. Has caused problems of compatability when browsers are updated and rapport does not support new browser version. Go to some length to update it and keep it working but is it worth it? I don't really know.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

In my experience, it's only been Vista that's affected. It's strange that in each case, all had been well for months or even years after the download. Whether it's an MS update that triggers the problems or not, I don't know. Effects are various from refusal to update, to various BSODs at various stages of the boot.

Like this post
Trusteer Technical Support

Likes # 0

Hello,

We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience Rapport may have caused, and we would like to investigate this issue further in order to fix it.

following the computer crash, you may have files that hold valuable information regarding the crash specifics, which can help our developers understand the source of the problem. To send us these files, please follow the instructions in this link: http://www.trusteer.com/support/sending-windows-minidump

Thank you for your cooperation.

Trusteer Technical Support.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Well that's something you don't see every day on this site.Well done.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

It is appreciated that the manufacturs/producers of software do look at these forums and that they do try to assist. Most welcome.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

That's really quite encouraging. I'll contact the owner and get him to follow the link.

Like this post
mimosa418

Likes # 0

I have tried Rapport on several occasions and found it worked on Win7 but not on XP possibly due to a lower RAM on the XP machine. The final straw was when I found that ESET Smart security would not install with Rapport.So finally gave up and removed it from both machines. rapport support wanted and received all the minidump files they requested but finally wished to have a direct link to my machine which I was not prepared to do. I found no advantage in using rapport which only seems to monitor passwords and tell yo if you use the same password on two different web sites.

Like this post  
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Thanks for the info mimosa

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...