We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

PS/2 Combo Ports

johndrew
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have been researching motherboards as part of the process to replace my current desktop PC. Of concern is the change from having two PS/2 sockets, one for keyboard the other mouse, to the introduction of a single 'Combo' port.

All my searching has failed to provide a definitive answer as to whether a Combo port will take both keyboard and mouse simultaneously if a splitter cable were used. I understand a similar cable will connect both to a single USB port but this would defeat the objective of retaining USB ports free for use with other peripherals.

I should add that I prefer PS/2 wired keyboard and mouse rather than wifi which I find annoying when batteries get low.

With luck there is a real 'techie' who can answer this easily in simple terms and solve my problem once and for all.

With many thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

I think you will find that most Motherboards use USB sockets now for mouse and keyboard, as do virtually all the mice and keyboards you can buy, so the chances are your PS2 devices are obsolete unless you get an adapter (USB to PS2).

If you short of USB ports you can use a splitter

Terry

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It would seem that a splitter cable can take a mouse and keyboard but not all motherboards work with them. Amazon list Have a look at the reviews.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The answer may be to have sufficient usb ports so a ps2/usb adaptor may be the best solution or a new usb mouse and keyboard to go with the new pc.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Thanks for coming back people.

Your responses basically confirm that which I have already found out, i.e. PS/2 splitters are aimed at laptops, a USB splitter should work and that in general PS/2 sockets are obsolete. The only advance appears to be that some motherboards will work using them whilst others will not; the problem is confirming whether a motherboard will function as I should want it to when using a splitter cable. There seems to be nothing on manufacturers sites and little - other than the forgoing - elsewhere.

I suppose that what is needed is either usage experience or a manufacturers statement. Any ideas?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Maybe gengiscant could answer this?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

No? Ah well.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch R video review: The most desirable Android Wear smartwatch

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming th)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad