We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Replacing laptop with an 1-pad

logrin

Likes # 0

I have been advised to buy an i-pad instead of a new laptop.

Have been told it would be more useful, more apps, I can get a Kindle app so won't need to buy one, read my e-mails, surf the net, take and save my pictures, use Skype, get an app for reading my newspapers, play lots of games, all sounds too good to be true. It is smaller and handier and I can use it in the front room.

All I need to get is a HI FI connection to my Broadband.

What are the snags, if any, I can still use my laptop to write letters on Office and as I am getting a new all-in printer I can connect the i pad to it.

Only problem, there doesn't seem anywhere selling them on discount and it is expensive for a plastic box. I have a big mean streak in my bones.

Have you any objections against my purchase. logrin

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Don't know much about them or the snags you query - but I doubt if you will find any bargains/discounted one's. Apple sets the price and they seem to be the same no matter where you purchase.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

No dvd/cd player on an ipad which you do get on a laptop. Yes there are games and it can keep you amused for hours. I've got one and I don't think that it replaces a laptop (which I also have as well as a desktop) but it probably does replace a netbook. A tablet is good for emails, browsing the net and it fires up instantly. I read newspapers on it and get PCA on it too. It's easy to carry around. The smart cover is almost essential.

They do not come cheap.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

I agree with Woolwell, and I wouldn't be without it now when I am away from home. I have added Pages and Numbers to give me more flexibility,and Roboform Everywhere so that I can access all my password protected sites such as online banking.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Sorry to hijack the thread a little.

rawprawn

Can you only use Roboform if you only use the search facility within the software? I have used Roboform for many years on my desktop and have it on my Ipad but it does not work as well as it does on the desktop.

As for Ipad vs laptop, as I have never owned a laptop for any length of time and only recently bought the Ipad I am still learning. I find the inability to save documents to where I want: ie DropBox a pain, but overall I am enjoying the experience. Whether it replaces a laptop/netbook I am not sure.They are certainly not cheap and whether they justify the high price again I am not so sure. Maybe give you a better idea in a few months time when I have learnt how to use it better.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Hi gengiscant, you are quite right you can only access your login sites etc from within RoboForm itself. However although it is not as easy as your Desktop version, it makes it more secure.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

rawprawn

Thought as much,I think that is the biggest gripe around the forums that Apple make it a little to difficult for other software to integrate with its own. Thanks for confirming.

Like this post
logrin

Likes # 0

Thank you allfor your help. I will buy an i pad and also keepmy laplop on my desk. logrin

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Should have mentioned that although with IOS5 the ipad should work without connecting to a pc and get updates, etc through icloud I still find that I use iTunes and I don't think that a iPad is a stand-alone device.

I'm sure that you'll enjoy it.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...