We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Security center will not run

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

While having problems installing Avast yesterday I noticed That My Security Center would not run.

I am using W/7 32bit.

I have ran my Security programs.Tried a system repair in safe mode.Tried to get it to run in Services and have run sfc /scannow without any luck.

After Googling it it does seem to be a hard one to fix.So just wondered if any of you have had the same problem and managed to fix it.

I did remove MSE yesterday using Revo Uninstaller but not sure if the problem was already there or not.

I had to install Avast in safe mode to get it to work properly as I could not get it to work in normal mode.Tried twice.

Question is do I really need the Security center running or can I do without it.

Still getting my Windows Updates so no problem there.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

As far as I know an Undo restore point is created by windows automatically immediately before restoring to an earlier date, except when restoring in safe mode or from a command prompt when an undo point isn't made.

This most recent saved date can be accessed from the Undo a restore point option in system restore if the restore is of no help.

You can always make a restore point manually in any case just to make sure before restoring to an earlier time and then use the feature in SR Undo to go back to that date if needed.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Have a look at the reg file Windows Security Center Service missing after Malware attack number 2, Link,

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Oops just found this.

It has got to be a mistake surely.

What happened to Windows Security Center?

Action Center replaces Windows Security Center in this version of Windows.

Action Center manages firewall settings, Windows Update, antispyware software settings, Internet security, and User Account control settings. Action Center also monitors computer maintenance settings and provides links to troubleshooters and other tools that can help fix problems.

My goodness is this why I could not fix it .If so I feel like a proper fool.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

If you open action center you have Security and Maintenance headings showing. I thought you couldn't use the drop down arrow on Security?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Nope I just could not get Security Center to run .I assumed that was to do with the Firewall and anti-virus etc.

Now that tells me it is the Action Center that deals with it all.

So not sure what the Security center is supposed to do.

Just having one of those off days I think.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok not as easy as that. Going into action center tell me that the security center is turned off and it will not turn it on.

Then when I click on Change Action Center settings it takes me to another page where all of those cannot be started.They have ticks on them but are greyed out.

Windows Update.

internet security settings.

Network Firewall.

Spyware and related protection

Virus protection.

Now all of those are not working properly so I presume I need the security center to work.

rdave13 I did try that link you sent earlier and it did not work.

If I can't find anything by tomorrow I will try system restore with the hope that I can get back again

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok not as easy as that. Going into action center tell me that the security center is turned off and it will not turn it on.

Then when I click on Change Action Center settings it takes me to another page where all of those cannot be started.They have ticks on them but are greyed out.

Windows Update.

internet security settings.

Network Firewall.

Spyware and related protection

Virus protection.

Now all of those are not working properly so I presume I need the security center to work.

rdave13 I did try that link you sent earlier and it did not work.

If I can't find anything by tomorrow I will try system restore with the hope that I can get back again

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I thought that registry fix might have worked after a reboot. Have a look at blackviper and under Win 7, 3.7 dependencies, shows what services should be running.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

rdave13

Ok thanks for that.

Did a system restore back 12 days and it was working ok then.I have to think it was removing MSE that did the damage,I reverted back to the latest restore point and of course it is not working again.

At least I know how to fix it if I have to.

I will have a look at BlackViper I have used it before but never took a note of any changes that I made which was a mistake.A bit wiser now I hope.

Just wondering if downloading MSE again might fix it.Worth a try if nothing else works.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?