We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Security center will not run

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

While having problems installing Avast yesterday I noticed That My Security Center would not run.

I am using W/7 32bit.

I have ran my Security programs.Tried a system repair in safe mode.Tried to get it to run in Services and have run sfc /scannow without any luck.

After Googling it it does seem to be a hard one to fix.So just wondered if any of you have had the same problem and managed to fix it.

I did remove MSE yesterday using Revo Uninstaller but not sure if the problem was already there or not.

I had to install Avast in safe mode to get it to work properly as I could not get it to work in normal mode.Tried twice.

Question is do I really need the Security center running or can I do without it.

Still getting my Windows Updates so no problem there.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Your dependencies seem to have changed for security centre from the default RpcSs/WinMgmt

Anything showing in Event Viewer?

Was reading pages 3 and 4 of this four page posting about problems with wscsvc and changed dependencies and was wondering whether running the command

sc config wscsvc depend= RpcSs/WinMgmt

would restore the default Remote Procedure Call and Windows Management Instrumentation dependencies.

enter link description here

Also might be worth making sure the Base Filtering Engine service is running on automatic in services.msc.

but as you say it's one thing that you can run without in any case, sorry haven't been much help, Les.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Les28

Sorry on the other computer just now and will check later when I switch back.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Ok Les28 you were spot on with that.

On my 32Bit computer that I was having all of the trouble with this.

HKEYLOCAL MACHINE\system\Current control Set\Services\wscsvc and clicking on wscsvc the only difference between that and the 32bit is DependOnService REGMULTISZ HTTP EventLog

That was the problem it had event log on it instead of RpcSs/WinMgmt.

Since I have done a system restore it is now showing as RpcSs/WinMgmt instead of Eventlog.

so anyone else that has had problems with the Security Center not working check that out not sure if you would just delete wscsvc and downoad a new one or just change the Eventlog to RpcSs/WinMgmt will leave that for the experts to work out.

3 days I have been trying to find out what was wrong with it and googling for it brought no answers so maybe Microsoft could actually do a fix for it now instead of most folk having to reformat.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

Just for the record, as far as I understand it, as well as deleting the incorrect dependency value for wscsvc in HKEYLOCALMACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\wscsvc like you mention, you also have two other nearby locations to delete dependencies from

HKEYLOCALMACHINE\System\ControlSet001\Services\wscsvc and HKEYLOCALMACHINE\System\ControlSet002\Services\wscsvc

and then after rebooting running the command

sc config wscsvc depend= RpcSs/WinMgmt

should assign the correct dependency services to wscsvc.

However like you I'd rather have an expert tell me that it was correct before trying it out, playing with the registry could be catastrophic, and system restore in your case has come to the rescue, in spite of its bad press sometimes.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Hi Les once again thanks for your help I am sure the work you have put into this will be appreciated by others that have the same problem.

I could always Restore back and try your method but I am not going to just in case.

Once again thanks for taking the time to help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...