We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Security center will not run

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

While having problems installing Avast yesterday I noticed That My Security Center would not run.

I am using W/7 32bit.

I have ran my Security programs.Tried a system repair in safe mode.Tried to get it to run in Services and have run sfc /scannow without any luck.

After Googling it it does seem to be a hard one to fix.So just wondered if any of you have had the same problem and managed to fix it.

I did remove MSE yesterday using Revo Uninstaller but not sure if the problem was already there or not.

I had to install Avast in safe mode to get it to work properly as I could not get it to work in normal mode.Tried twice.

Question is do I really need the Security center running or can I do without it.

Still getting my Windows Updates so no problem there.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Good morning Buteman, unfortunately I found that a reinstallation of MSE did not help when I had problems, as I do not use system restore then a reinstallation of Windows is my only option. As I used a SSD these days it is a simple and painless and relatively short option.

Microsoft have this thing about not uninstalling there software cleanly, I recently had a problem with the spell check not working in Office 2007, after much research I discovered that certain files had been corrupted but that reinstallation would not work because of the amount of rubbish left behind by the uninstall process, which meant that the corrupt files were left behind and still affected the new install.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

I was wondering myself about downloading MSE again, will have to remove Avast though I would have thought first, don't want two anti-virus progs running at same time and seeing if security centre OK then.

Maybe try a different way of removing MSE if needed later rather than using Revo next time, couldn't quite understand why you needed to use Revo to uninstall MSE before.

Before you uninstall Avast you could try running a boot time scan with Avast to see if any malware present before windows loads

enter link description here

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Just stopped Avast running for 1 hour while I downloaded MSE.Running a full scan with it in safe mode just now as I have heard that it may be a bug in MSE.

I wanted to remove all of MSE and not just the parts it wanted to move as I had no intentions of ever using it again.

Try Windows updates and see how many you have for MSE there used to be no way of removing them but as far as I know Revo moves them.

MSE is fine as long as you have the pay for version of Emisoft Anti malware downloaded as that lets nothing past it.It would show you how good MSE is if they started charging for it.There would not be that many that would want to use it then.

It is a middle of the road A/V not good not bad there is better.

Anyhow will let you know how I get on not expecting miracles as it could not even start the windows Firewall so I fear the worst.A waste of time probably but worth a try.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

gengiscant

Wish I had read your post first it would have saved me the bother of trying MSE again.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Let's hope we get sort your problem without resorting to reinstallation of Windows.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

gengiscant

I can always do a system restore again, It looks like a registry problem but will have another look later.

And the MSE retry did no good just like you said.

I tried Black viper and the things needed to be working for the security center were all working.So just the security center that is not.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I have another computer but with W/7 64 bit on it.

Going into regedit and following.

HKEYLOCAL MACHINE\system\Current control Set\Services\wscsvc and clicking on wscsvc the only difference between that and the 32bit is DependOnService REGMULTISZ HTTP EventLog and instead of event log on the 64bit it finishes with RpcSs WinMgmt

Could anyone with W/732Bit check what is on there one whether it is HTTP EventLog or whether it is the same as the 64bit version RpcSs WinMgmt.

If it is the same as the 64Bit version how would I change my 32 bit version to be the same

I hope you can follow what I am trying to say I am having difficulty understanding it myself.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Give in with this.

As a last resort thought that I would go back to the restore point where it was working and it is no longer there all of the old restore points have gone except for the last 4 days.

I would have preferred it working but computer seems to work Ok without it just the security center and the action center that don't work.

I may try a repair at at a later stage but would I have to remove SP1 first.

Will class as resolved as there does not seem to be a fix for it.

Like this post  
gengiscant

Likes # 0

buteman.

I have always found that a repair install can and does cause more problems than it solves. A clean install is always the way to go.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

gengiscant

I managed to find a restore point that I had already used and it was working ok on that.

I had already cleared all the junk and everything that goes with it out.But looks like I will have to start again plus reinstall a couple of other programs.

At least it is working ok now.

I was thinking about a reformat but the thought of wasting so much time reinstalling updates put me off.

Thanks everyone for your help I was hoping to fix it without having to do a repair but there were no fixes out there that I could find.

It stops both the Action and Service Centers from running and although you can still use your computer it is just annoying that you know something is wrong and you can't fix it.But all Ok now.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Sam Smith, Kylie & more live, for...

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger