We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Security center will not run

buteman
Resolved

Likes # 0

While having problems installing Avast yesterday I noticed That My Security Center would not run.

I am using W/7 32bit.

I have ran my Security programs.Tried a system repair in safe mode.Tried to get it to run in Services and have run sfc /scannow without any luck.

After Googling it it does seem to be a hard one to fix.So just wondered if any of you have had the same problem and managed to fix it.

I did remove MSE yesterday using Revo Uninstaller but not sure if the problem was already there or not.

I had to install Avast in safe mode to get it to work properly as I could not get it to work in normal mode.Tried twice.

Question is do I really need the Security center running or can I do without it.

Still getting my Windows Updates so no problem there.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Go to start, search type CMD then right click on command prompt select "run as administrator" at the prompt type:-

net start Winmgmt press enter, then:-

net start RpcSs press enter, then:-

net start DcomLaunch press enter, then:-

net start wscsvc press enter.

You should receive a message about the service started OR already started , just move on to the next command.

Or there's this: MSE

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

For interest, why did you decide to change from MSE to Avast?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Sorry not got time to answer just now have a doctors appointment,Will get back to you as soon as possible.Thanks

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

gengiscant

No difference it still states A System error has occurred.System error 5 has occurred access is denied.That is what it said in services so no joy there.

Will have a look at the MSE post in a moment.

onthelimit1.

MSE was all right as an anti-virus the spyware part of it slows computers down and anyone with an oldish computer would struggle with it.

I gave my son a loan of the computer and put it on there for him as it was the simplest to use.

Now I have it back I wanted something better and have the full version of Avast until April.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

gengiscant on your 2nd link.

1. Open the Local Users and Groups manager.

Any idea as to where you find it.Is it supposed to be in user accounts.

Not on my version of W/7

Already tried the first version by setting it to automatic brought no results so had to press run to get the same information as before.System error 5.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Local Users and Groups is only available in the Windows 7 Professional, Ultimate, and Enterpise editions. I am assuming you do not have any of these?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

gengiscant

No I have Home premium no wonder I could not find it.Felt a bit of a clown having to ask.

I have been reading some of the other threads with the same sort of bother and there are a lot of folk out there that know what they are doing.I am afraid I am not one of them

Using a new user account was mentioned so might leave that as a last resort.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

This problem you are having may well be caused by left over files from MSE. Sometime ago I had a lot of bother getting rid of it and installing some other anti-virus. Since upgrading to Windows 7 I have been using MSE without any problems and only scan when nagged to do so.

A bit of reading here but nothing definitive: Security center.

Like this post
Les28

Likes # 0

A few ideas that may or may not help, maybe check in services.msc that Revo has uninstalled the Microsoft Antimalware Service (MsMpSvc) component of MSE and that it's not still running as an orphaned service and perhaps causing the WSC and Avast install problems.

Any errors showing in Event Viewer that could be connected?

Also perhaps a repair of the WBEM \ Repository folder might be worth considering, you can Google to find out if you think it may be worth a try.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

gengiscant

No nothing on there that helped.

Tried the Zip file but that was no good.

Les28

(MsMpSvc)is not running in Services and WBEM \ Repository folder should only be changed by those that knows what they are doing,So that leaves me out.

I would like to get it fixed but computer is working ok without it, No doubt that there will come a time when it is needed.

Thank you both for your help so far.I will keep on looking but I think it may be a lost cause.

Can you do a system restore to a previous time and then restore back to the present time just to see if I could find out when it was working ok.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow