We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Software for a new website

sajeev

Likes # 0

I would be grateful for some advice regarding a new website. I have developed medical-oriented websites using Frontpage and Dreamweaver8. I am planning to make a website promoting local football. The site will have bios of past and present players, technical information about the game of football, images, updated scores of tournaments, video, Discussion forum and registration and guest access. It will also require a facility to collect subscriptions/donations.I have heard that Joomla and Durpal sites are easier to maintain. Are these programs good for developing such a website which will need to run for at least 5 years and probably longer? Thanks Sajeev

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Drupal and Joomla are content management systems.

The sites run on back end databases.

I haven't tried Joomla, but I do have limited experience with Drupal and it's your worst nightmare to get it to do what you want it to.

Be prepare for a very steep learning curve.

At the very least, you need a Linux or Windows server that supports apache, mysql and php (a so called lamp server). If you're using a hosting service, check what they support.

A knowledge of php would also be helpful, otherwise you are stuck with existing themes. Not that they are bad, just limited in what you can design within.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Transferred to Webdesign from the Helproom.

Like this post
sajeev

Likes # 0

Thanks, LastChip. Drupal is out, then! Anybody with any advice regarding Joomla? Thanks, Sajeev

Like this post
adumapul

Likes # 0

Wordpress is a userfriendly content management system.Wordpress is a nice platform to design a website.

Like this post
manoj9585

Likes # 0

If we talk about software the best software to make it is Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 and we use asp.net with c# language.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'