We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Building a MATX PC.

Guns121

Likes # 0

I'm building a Micro ATX computer for my mother so i'm not going to waste money on getting high specs for it but what i need help on is what OS i need to use and what power PSU to use. some advise on components to use wouldn't go amiss thanks. this is the bundle i'm thinking of getting http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/amd-cpu-and-microatx-motherboard-bundle-with-1gb-memory-08702298-pdt.html

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Would be helpful to have an idea of your overall budget, if you are seeking a m-atx case then buying one with a power supply will solve that problem. I would also suggest an extra GB of RAM and use Windows 7 as your operating system. A wireless keyboard/mouse or controller makes sense with a m- atx which I am assuming you will connect to the TV and use that as your monitor. You would also needs wireless card or Ethernet cable to access the internet.

Please post budget and I will spec up a system for you.

Like this post
Guns121

Likes # 0

about £160 is the budget and your right in assuming that i am using the TV as a monitor. My router is just below my TV so a wireless card isn't needed. My mam mainly just uses the internet websites like Facebook.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Thanks for the info, I'm on the iPad at the moment but will get back to you later with a spec. I had intending knocking up a m-atx rig myself recently so I have a reasonable spec on my PC ,I'll tweak it to suit your budget, but if you are going to be buying Windows 7 that will take a healthy chunk of your budget away. £160 is fine for parts but not with OS.

Like this post
Guns121

Likes # 0

I already have to OS so the budgets is for parts only.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

The parts you have linked to will do,not my choice I must admit but I think £160 is just a tad low. But if as you say your mum just needs internet access then fine.You would definitely need to add another 1GB RAM get a case with PSU, something like these M-ATX Case add a hard-drive of your choice an optical drive and you are good to go.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

2015 creative trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal the biggest influences & changes coming)......

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad