We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Error 550 5.1.1 Outlok email

Nonagon

Likes # 0

I setup outlook 2003 on a new laptop and can receive mesaages and receive test to myself but if I try to send mail to another address e.g. work or friends I get the above error:

Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject:  RE: 
  Sent: 13/11/2011 21:19

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

'XXXXX XXXXXXX' on 13/11/2011 21:19
        550 5.1.1 Relaying denied to domain hotmail.com

any ideas how to resolve this? Ta

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Check your smtp settings which should be for your isp.

Like this post
Nonagon

Likes # 0

I don't know how to do that :---(((

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Relaying is when you send an email via an smtp (outbound) mail server other than the one which belongs to your ISP.

For instance.....

suppose my ISP is called fe.com

the smtp mail server might be:- mail.fe.com

However, I have a mailbox on my own domain name, which is:- forum.com and I have configured Outlook to send all my outbound mail via the smtp server called mail.forum.com even though I'm connected to fe.com

the fe.com mailserver might see my mail as spam,and think that I'm trying to relay messages through it to hide the point of origin, so it rejects the mail and bounces it back to me with a relaying error message.

Check your Outlook account settings and make sure that your outbound (smtp) server is set to that of your ISP.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Checking your smtp settings - enter link description here scroll down to find your email accounts settings page and check your outgoing mail server.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Note - as per FE instructions - make sure it is set to that given to you by your ISP.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

2014 Mac mini release date, specs, rumours: When's the new Mac mini coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen