We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

being able to read dbx files

Damarc

Likes # 0

In transferring old emails to new computer, they materialised into dbx files and I can't open them. Have searched for freebie software but have been lulled into so called 'free' software to find out that I have to register for a trial or buy it after I've gone through the installing process.

Can I have a truly free software to do this or another way of opening up these files please?

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Like all files, they need a specific type of program to open them.

.dbx is a database of your emails and used by Outlook Express (your previous email client).

You need to import them into your present email client. That may or may not be easy depending on which email client you are using on your new computer.

Please post details of new computer and client in use and then someone who knows how to import them to your new email client will be able to help you.

Like this post
VoG II

Likes # 0

In Windows Live Mail, click the Left Hand tab, select Import, click Next, In the Browse Dialog brows to the folder that contains your messages.

Like this post
Damarc

Likes # 0

I've got adell studio and use ms office outlook, same as old pc. I thought I could click on file (without being in ms outlook) and it would automatically open in it.

Like this post
VoG II

Likes # 0

Nope. you need to go to Import, then import the FOLDER.

Like this post
Sea Urchin

Likes # 0

.dbx files are used by Outlook Express, whereas MS Outlook stores mail as .pst files

Here's how to transfer them across from one computer to another

Transfer Mail

Like this post
Damarc

Likes # 0

I've tried the import method and still need help. I have a file which I saved from my old pc with the dbx extension. When I tried to import in MS Outlook from 'another file or programme' there wasn't a choice for this, only 'Outlook express versions'. When I clicked on OExpress I was expecting there to be a further choice of file location, which there wasn't. It just said there were no Outlook express file.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

this will open .dbx http://majorgeeks.com/MiTeCOEReader_d5304.html

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Darn that link formatting it changes text between two _'s to italics

ClickHere

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.