We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which fonts required for Linux

csqwared
Resolved

Likes # 0

Having just done a re-install of Linux Mint 11 I have realised how many fonts are installed by default. Which of them do I really need??

Tks

cc

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

Fonts in Linux are a minimal overhead, I'd leave them alone.

You may also want to check that you have the Microsoft standard fonts installed. I can't remember whether Mint installs them as standard or not.

If you have (for example) Comic Sans MS, you already have them. If not go to your package manager and look for msttcorefonts.

Like it or not, not having those can make browsing unpleasant, as many websites use Arial or Verdana fonts.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

Thanks for that LastChip. Mint doesn't install the MS fonts as standard but I've already installed the msttcorefonts package, although the installer now asks for an agreement which it didn't used to, something to do with Microsoft themselves I believe. It was the concern of over wasted space that prompted the question but since you suggest that's minimal I'll leave well alone. Thanks again.

cc

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia