We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help to remove virus

ronec

Likes # 0

I am just checking my grand daughters Dell laptop. Unfortunately she is not here at the moment to advise me what happens to the computer, but I understand it keeps crashing. I have started it in Safe Mode nd am running an AVG command line scan. It has found a couple of Trojan Horses and the same virus name keeps cropping up- Win32/Natusha.A Sometimes AVG moves the infected file to the Virus Vault and some it does not appear to do anything with. There are a number of different Trojan Horses,ie 'Backdoor,Generic14AVBQ',this has not been moved, but Generic25.AAAS and Dropper.Generic.BLPX have both been moved. Some files are stating 'Locked File. Not tested' Is this normal, for them not to be checked. Any help much appreciated.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Download and run this.

http://www.malwarebytes.org/

Like this post
ronec

Likes # 0

Hi Buteman. Thanks for your reply. I am a bit slow with computers. Can I actually use the Internet whilst in Safe Mode?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Yes use safe mode with internet connection.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You should be able to select safe mode with networking. Don't think it will allow you to install in safe mode. Can you download SAS portable on another PC and copy to a CD or USB flash drive then run it on the infected PC in safe mode. Then run Malwarebytes in normal mode. SAS portable

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

I should have said Safe mode gives you the choice of two.Safe mode.or safe mode with internet conectiom.

Like this post
ronec

Likes # 0

I have managed to download Malwarebytes. Unfortunately the Program stops running a couple of seconds after it starts. If I reload it, a windows error pops up saying 'Windows cannot load the device. You may not have the correct Permissions' Malwarebytes Help section says that some virus's stop the program running and that if that happens I should rename the set up file. As I downloaded it to the desktop, I presumed that to be the set up file. I renamed the icon but still get the same error. Am I looking in the wrong place for the set up file. I also tried renaming files inside the Malwarebytes file in Programs, but it will not let me.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

In malwarebytes folder rename mbam.exe to startme.exe then double click to run it.

Some files are "locked" things like restore folder are locked and viruses can hide in there.

Like this post
ronec

Likes # 0

Hi Fruit Bat. I have looked in the folder and there does not appear to be a mbam.exe. There are quite a few mbam files but non being an .exe file. Obviously one of them is because the program will install. I renamed one that was an application file, but it would not let me. There is another file that has the mbam logo on it. I renamed that one and double clicked but nothing happened. In your statement about the locked files, do you mean that the virus could have locked them and be hiding in there or are they locked so that by windows so they can't hide in there.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Download and run rkill, then try MalwareBytes again.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic308364.html

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Or this one which works very quick.This will do a scan in about 10 minutes but you have to activate the account for it to remove anything.So wait and see what it finds.

Once account is activated it will only last for 30 day trial after that it will still work but not remove anything.

http://www.surfright.nl/en/hitmanpro

best downloaded in safe mode.

If using I/E go to tools.internet options.connections.lan settings and if use a proxy server is ticked untick it then you should be able to update and run Malwarebytes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback