We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Help to remove virus

ronec

Likes # 0

I am just checking my grand daughters Dell laptop. Unfortunately she is not here at the moment to advise me what happens to the computer, but I understand it keeps crashing. I have started it in Safe Mode nd am running an AVG command line scan. It has found a couple of Trojan Horses and the same virus name keeps cropping up- Win32/Natusha.A Sometimes AVG moves the infected file to the Virus Vault and some it does not appear to do anything with. There are a number of different Trojan Horses,ie 'Backdoor,Generic14AVBQ',this has not been moved, but Generic25.AAAS and Dropper.Generic.BLPX have both been moved. Some files are stating 'Locked File. Not tested' Is this normal, for them not to be checked. Any help much appreciated.

Like this post
ronec

Likes # 0

RKill did not find anything, but when I try and rum mbam again I am denied access as before. When I uninstall and re instal mbam it will scan for about 10 seconds then stop. I have downloaded Hitmanpro and upto now it has found Malware, Rootkit and Trojans. Hitmanpro appears to give options Delete etc, but against the Rootkit it says 'Replace' but with what?

Like this post
ronec

Likes # 0

Well, Hitmanpro found all kinds of virus, trojans anf appeared to fix everything. I then did a scan with AVG Clean Up, that found another 10,000 problems, but whilst repairing everything,it stalled on Windows Update Rollback. The computer has now slowly died and will not even start in Safe Mode. Drat, just as it appeard to have fixed everything. My grand daughter has now come home and said the problem started after she downloaded some software from iTunes. Glad I don't use that sh.t. Looks like it may have to be a new HDD. Anybody got a Vista Home Premium Disc they don't want. The Laptop, (Dell) did not come with a disc, and the D drive, where the backup would be stored, has been corrupted and is just showing no space when I check it on System.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Dell Recovery Instructions

1. Reboot, and press Ctrl + F11 at the Dell logo.
  2. The Dell™ PC Restore by Symantec screen will come up.
  3. Select "Restore" or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.
  4. if you wish to continue, click "Confirm", or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.
  5. When the utility is finished, click "Finish", or use the Tab key to highlight it and press Enter.

Of course this will delete all the data on the drive but sounds as if its lost anyway

Like this post
ronec

Likes # 0

Thanks for the info fruit bat. Unfortunately that will not work. I have tried a few times but the splash screen will not show. My laptop is an Acer, running Vista HP same as my grand daughters. I also have a Dban disc, that I understand wipes the HDD clean. Do you have any idea whether my Acer Recovery disc would work on her Dell?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data