We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freeview box problems

Pineman100

Likes # 0

Our area (Tacolneston transmitter, Norfolk) is in the midst of the digital TV switchover. Analogue BBC2 was switched off on the 9th November and the rest of the channels are set for 23rd November.

As instructed by the publicity material, I re-tuned our three Freeview boxes on the 9th. Since then the boxes have been nothing but trouble.

When switched off standby, one of the boxes always shows a report, "Searching for software update". The progress bar gets about a quarter of the way across then just freezes (I've left it for as much as half an hour without seeing any further progress).

All the boxes keep randomly reporting "no signal" on certain channels, for a few minutes, then returning to normal.

One of the boxes is updating the electronic programme guide on a daily basis.

I should add that our aerial is only a couple of years old, and we never turn the Freeview boxes off - just put them on standby.

Is this all just an inevitable part of the switchover process? I understand that the digital signal will at some point be boosted significantly - has this already happened, or will it happen after the final analogue channels have been switched off?

Any general advice on this topics would be very much appreciated.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I only got a few extra dBs in Exmouth at full switchover.

I still need two boosters. We point to Stockland Hill (Honiton 17 miles), but Woodbury Common is in the way.

Our neighbours point to Beacon Hill (Torquay) (also 17 miles and 180 degress away). A housing estate is in the way and they also have signal strength/noise/BER problems.

With all due respect tp PCA, this is not the best forum.

Digispy has loads of better experts.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite