We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Freeview box problems

Pineman100

Likes # 0

Our area (Tacolneston transmitter, Norfolk) is in the midst of the digital TV switchover. Analogue BBC2 was switched off on the 9th November and the rest of the channels are set for 23rd November.

As instructed by the publicity material, I re-tuned our three Freeview boxes on the 9th. Since then the boxes have been nothing but trouble.

When switched off standby, one of the boxes always shows a report, "Searching for software update". The progress bar gets about a quarter of the way across then just freezes (I've left it for as much as half an hour without seeing any further progress).

All the boxes keep randomly reporting "no signal" on certain channels, for a few minutes, then returning to normal.

One of the boxes is updating the electronic programme guide on a daily basis.

I should add that our aerial is only a couple of years old, and we never turn the Freeview boxes off - just put them on standby.

Is this all just an inevitable part of the switchover process? I understand that the digital signal will at some point be boosted significantly - has this already happened, or will it happen after the final analogue channels have been switched off?

Any general advice on this topics would be very much appreciated.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Also being in the South West I agree with Bob Exeter's comments. Personally I didn't have any problems and didn't need an aerial change. I know a few who did have problems with older boxes and 5 years may well be old. BTW I think that many of the aerial upgrades are cons.

Like this post
Pineman100

Likes # 0

Thanks for replying, Woolwell. I'm hoping that the problem doesn't lie in the aerial, because it seemed to function quite satisfactorily for terrestrial digital broadcasts before the switchover.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Interesting information on re-badging ClickHere with list of makes

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Can you borrow a different, newer box?

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I'm on the same transmitter as you in Norwich and the integrated Freeview in my TV(Finlux), and my Sony Freeview+ box went OK first time.

Did you do a full initial/first time install as recommended? There would appear to be fewer found stations, but perhaps this will improve on the second stage.

I've still got to set up my old (8/9 years) Hauppage box.

I still have a very old 7 element aerial with an amplifier that does the job OK.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

How are you distributing to 3 boxes?

Should be one of these or similar.

Living in a dip in Devon, I also need the Slx 1/2 Way booster to feed it. Norfolk doesn't have many hills unless you are getting reflections from Ely.

Also check cables. A dodgy UHF end can pull your hair out. Try one box/TV at a time, others disconnected.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

"digital signal will at some point be boosted significantly - has this already happened, or will it happen after the final analogue channels have been switched off"

I believe it is after the analogue channels have been switched off and there is a lot of 'messing about' with channels in the fortnight it takes to switch over, especially with HD channels which old software can't deal with. HD channels may or may not be relevant to yours.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Oh btw my SEG cuts sound every 10 minutes for 2 seconds (no pixellation).

I have 4 other Freeview receivers, they are fine and have checked connection. Most less than 2 years old. (since we went fully digital).

Best wait till after the 23rd before further fault finding.

Like this post
Bob Exeter

Likes # 0

In reply...

5 years for these cheaply made boxes is a lifetime in the digital sense.

When we had the changeover in 2009 the Exeter Waste site looked like the great wall of China with useless unusable digi boxes.

Bite the bullet and treat yourslf to a box that has now been sorted to comply with the very powerful transmissions that are being enjoyed in Devon and elsewhere that have gone "upgrade"

Bob Exeter

Like this post
Bob Exeter

Likes # 0

In reply...

5 years for these cheaply made boxes is a lifetime in the digital sense.

When we had the changeover in 2009 the Exeter Waste site looked like the great wall of China with useless unusable digi boxes.

Bite the bullet and treat yourslf to a box that has now been sorted to comply with the very powerful transmissions that are being enjoyed in Devon and elsewhere that have gone "upgrade"

Bob Exeter

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Samsung Galaxy Note 4 comparison: What's the best Android phablet?

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...