We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

outlook express keeps asking for password

johnnyrocker
Resolved

Likes # 0

after an infection the other day which took some solving my outlook express seems to have lost my password and keeps asking for it, this poses me a couple of problems as i still wish to use it and it was set up with a previous provider who i am sure would not offer any help, i have read up on the doug knox sugestion in an earlier post but i am reluctant to start playing with the registry, any other advice please?

johnny

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Do you know the password?

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

i thought i did but it seems not, i thought of siw but that seems to be of no help

johnny

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

A good read here, though I don't use Outlook Express.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Is this relevant? Password saving

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

I am surprised that you say SIW was no help, when I run it it even tells me passwords of email accounts that I deleted over 3 years ago.

Where did you look in SIW?

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

it comes up with no passwords at all lotvic.

johnny

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

In SIW free look under secrets.

If it is prompting the password box and you can see the username and the dots in place of the password then the only option is to do the reg edit.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Try this: Open SIW and click on Eureka! in top toolbar of SIW. Looks like a magnifying glass. A new window will open.

Also have open: Outlook Express | Tools | Accounts | highlight the email account | Properties | Servers tab |

if the password box has dots in then just grab the magnifying glass and drag it over the dots and the password can be read in the 'Window Text' box of Eureka!

or if you have the password prompt box as per Fruit Bat /\0/\ 's post then drag it over the dots in that box.

I'm not sure if it works if the dots are greyed out but worth a try.

Like this post
johnnyrocker

Likes # 0

sorry lotvic there does not seem to be what you suggest?

johnny

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Do you mean no dots in either: Password box in Accounts in OE, or in Password prompt?

or do you mean your version of SIW does not have Eureka! on top toolbar? (look in Tools dropdown menu)

I am using: System Information for Windows 2010 (build 0714g) Freeware Version

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Swatch to release its own line of smartwatches to rival iWatch

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

Miranda July's Somebody app offers a very unusual take on messaging

IDG UK Sites

The 7 most ridiculous iPhone 6 rumours: what Apple WON'T reveal on 9 September