We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Networked printer, scanning?

jim123321

Likes # 0

Im working for a client at the moment and I've had to setup a network printer for them, I've got 4 Windows 7 machines easily printing over the network to this printer that is connected wirelessly but they want one of there machines to use the scanning functionality of the printer.

The scanner doesn't show up at all in the local network devices like the printer does and to be honest i don't really have any experience with scanning over a network to a windows 7 machine, but this printer does support scan to ftp so my idea is to setup a small ftp server on the windows 7 machine with a folder to stored scans on the desktop or something, then put the details of the server in to the printer making it as easy as possible for the customer to scan stuff and just get it from the folder on the desktop, i could also share this folder over the network for anyone to open and get a scan if needs be.

Does this sound ok?

By the way the print is a Brother MFC-6490CW.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

It sounds to me as if the setting for the scanner driver is wrong. You can use this printer's scanner in a peer to peer network situation, but not in a network shared environment.

First you need to get the printer's IP address.

Press the Menu or Menu/Set key on the printer, and select Network or LAN. Select Network or LAN > WLAN or Wired LAN > TCP/IP > IP Address

In Windows 7 Click Start and type "scan" in the search field. Then, click 'View scanners and cameras'. Select the scanner and click 'Properties'. If the User Account Control screen appears, click 'Yes'.

Click 'Network Setting' tab and select 'Specify your machine by address'. Now enter the IP address you obtained, Click OK.

Be warned that you may need to disable the firewall,or adjust its settings to get the scanning facility to work.

Like this post
jim123321

Likes # 0

Thanks for the help, I really dislike wireless printers as i find them really unpredictable and nothing beats a good wired connection, Also i find Windows 7 is set out strange being a mac user and only heavily working with older systems like XP etc.

Thanks again!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

EE brings 4G LTE to Cornwall and a total of 21 new towns

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks