We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

4 year old Evesham desktop freezing

Mike_R

Likes # 0

My desktop which was bought in May 1997 and is running under Vista often gets stuck when switching on, with the display looping on the Vista loading bar. I can clear this eventually by continually switching off and on, but is driving me to distraction as it seems to happen (Sods Law) when I want access quickly.

I have thought of installing Windows 7 assuming that the problem is in the OS, but I thnk that it would be better to dump the desktop for a new one. I do not play games and only use the desktop for the WEB, printing photos and Microsoft Works. Can anyone recommend a suitable replacement desktop, preferably without the monitor, keypad or speakers?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

And your budget is?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

gets stuck when switching on, with the display looping on the Vista loading bar

That sounds like a driver problem - try updating or reinstalling your drivers in device manager.

Like this post
Mike_R

Likes # 0

Budget around £500. Could go higher but do not wish to get a PC that I will never use to its full potential.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Access quickly? Download Ubuntu (burn when your PC is working or another. Try not Install). Just runs from CD/DVD boot.

Allows Firefox browsing and LibreOffice.

Then you can come back here and fix Vista at your pleasure.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I also have a 4 year old Evesham desktop, running well on W 7 64 bit. What is the spec of yours? Maybe a component may need updating - a lot cheaper than a new machine.

Like this post
Mike_R

Likes # 0

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 6320 @ 1.86GHz 1.87Hz

Memory (RAM): 2.00 GB

System type: 32-bit Operating System

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote