We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

AdAware Replacement

morddwyd
Resolved

Likes # 0

Anyone recommend a good replacement for AdAware? Been using it for some years but it has grown so clunky and intrusive that it needs to go.

Tried Malwarebites but didn't get on with it, but will give it another go if it's really as good as its proponents claim.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

The free version of Malwarebytes is good and also Superantispyware. Spywareblaster for a blocker. About all you need apart from AV and Firewall.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

For got to add, if you try Mbam again then refuse the 'professional' trial version on first running.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

rdave13 has mentioned two of the best freebies.

If none of those maybe try Emisoft Anti-Malware or one to have on the side no mater what else you have would be HitmanPro but if you have to remove anything you then only have 30 days left to use it.It will still scan and update but will not remove anything but at least it does warn you if you have any infections and works extremely quick compared to others.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Thanks all. I'll give MWB another go

Like this post
Menzie

Likes # 0

I also like Spybot Search and Destroy although I do notice it slows down my older Athlon 64 3200+ system quite a bit. On my dual core laptop and my other desktop I have no such issues and it does seem to scan quite thoroughly.

I also used a program called Spyware Terminator although I haven't used that in a while since trying Malwarebytes Anti-Malware.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

as rdave13 says.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I agree with rdave13. I find free Superantispyware a little easier and finds more ad aware tracking cookies than Mbam.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback