We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrading Xp to Linux?

crashb648

Likes # 0

Hello everyone!

I recently wipped my computer and re-installed XP. However, during the time between doing that, and the 30 days activision period, i decided i wanted to install Linux instead.

However, the computer has no internet connection, so i cant reactivate windows, without dragging the computer downstairs.

Is there a way to install linux (Ubuntu Version) without having to reactivate XP?

Thanks for the help! - Crashb648

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Download the iso and burn to CD. http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/download

put the cd in the xp machine and install

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

As FruitBat/\0/\ says, it s not necessary to have any system on the computer prior to installation. You can install to a virgin hard drive.

You certainly need a CD/DVD of the distribution you want to install, but that's it.

Fire up the CD/DVD and click install, then follow the on-screen menus.

Like this post
Procrastinus

Likes # 0

Same techniques for Linux Mint that I can recommend. 1 You can try out both systems as a 'live CD' without having to install either to see which you prefer. But you will need an internet ethernet cable connection for installation to set up the systems properly.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED