We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HDD size limitation on XP laptop?

algernonymous

Likes # 0

Right, having tried all suggested remedies with no luck, I've returned to my XP laptop to sort it out, (from this thread) and as I believe it has a nasty virus- and I wanted to install a larger HDD anyway- I'm going to ditch the infected 40GB drive and insert a larger drive then install XP and programs etc. (I want to do a new install not a Clone/copy so I can be sure there will be no transfer of infection) My questions are this- 1, Is there a limit to the HDD size I can install (as there is with RAM) and 2, Presumably I should make a note of all devices in case of any driver problems?

Thanks. P.S. this is my 1st attempt at a link on the new site so hope it works.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

XP (with servicepacks) is OK up to 2TB :0)

Like this post
algernonymous

Likes # 0

Wow! thanks FB.

Anyone have any other tips/advice before I proceed? I've done a few desktops before but this will be my first laptop.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Its exactly the same

make sure you have all drivers and the windows serial key before you start.

Like this post
Ian in Northampton

Likes # 0

Best I can tell you is, I approached upgrading the drive on my laptop with a huge amount of trepidation. It turned out to be very straightforward. Fruit Bat /\0/\ is right about undertaking the necessary preparation - but actually swapping the drives should be pretty easy.

Like this post
algernonymous

Likes # 0

Thanks Ian, thats how I'm feeling at the moment - your comments are appreciated.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I bought a 160gb Samsung 2 1/2 inch PATA laptop hard drive yesterday. When I connect it via an Easy Ide usb2.0 adabter to my computer, externally, the hard drive is recognised in the Control Panel, under disk drives, but does not appear on the windows desktop.

Is this normal?

The new hard drive will be replacing a faulty one in a laptop computer soon.

I hope algernonymous doesn't mind me asking, as I will be going through the same procedure very soon, and I am very grateful,also, for the learned forum members' great advice.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Can you see it in disk management if so right click initialise and format.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Will try that tomoro, Fruit Bat.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

AitchBEE, algernonymous may or may not 'mind' but it is not forum etiquette, it's hijacking thread and considered very bad manners. Please next time start your own thread even though the subject problem is very similar or practically the same.

Remember that every time someone posts on a thread the OP will get an email notification - not fair is it if post is for someone else....

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

lotvic - point noted. thanks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Android One vs Android Silver vs Google Nexus: What is the difference?

IDG UK Sites

Apple updates MacBook Pro line-up: Price cuts & spec boosts for 6 MacBook Pro models

IDG UK Sites

Long live the internet fridge: the Internet of Things is coming

IDG UK Sites

How Prometheus' colourist Juan Ignacio Cabrera gave a tense, edgy feel to Chosen