We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Stuck at Gigabyte mobo splash screen

Rayspan

Likes # 0

System running Win7. On start up, Gigabyte splash screen displays . . . and stays. No response to del key for BIOS.

Problem has been occasional for some time, but now seems to be solid.

Processor is AMD Phenom quad, 'Core Temp.' has reported 79C for all 4 cores for ever, is that high?

Any advice welcome.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Temps http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/index.php?pageid=CPUtemperatures

Stuck at splash screen means BIOS is not completing - several possible reasons

bad drives - unplug each in turn and see if it boots

bad memory - try one stick at a time

try resetting the BIOS with the clear BIOS jumper on the mother board see if it will then restart

a bad CMOS battery can have same effect

Like this post
Rayspan

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\ - many thanks. That will keep me busy for a while! I suspect it's got to be H/W, most likely a thermal failure.

Will follow through.

Like this post
Rayspan

Likes # 0

First thing I did . . . short the CMOS reset pins.

Result, system starts up properly - Hooray!

Next, Kaspersky throws up two infections - each the same virus, something or other(not a virus), with 'delete' recommendation.

Then, finds & downloads another 6 windows updates, which is a bit odd, considering it's a Friday, and that I've already installed the usual Wednesday/Thursday clutch.

Restarts OK after installation completed.

Looks as if the infection nobbled the BIOS settings. First time that has happened to me.

Just another little piece added to my pile of PC lore!

Many thanks Fruitbat, & pcadvisor of course. Over more years than I care to count, you guys have never let me down.

Like this post
Rayspan

Likes # 0

Another result . . . core temp gadget now gently flicking between 31C & 32C.

Perhaps there was a thermal element as well. I cant remember overclocking it, could that be the virus I wonder?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

That temp is fine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK